The phase diagrams and thermodynamics of the ZrO2-CaO-MgO and MgO-CaO systems
- 283 Downloads
The phase diagram of the ZrO2-CaO-MgO system was studied both experimentally and computationally. Using the newly developed isoplethal map method, the partial isotherms of the system at 1523,1573,1683, and 1773 K were determined with better accuracy than reported in the literature. The enthalpies of formation of the fluorite cubic structure, with reference to the monoclinic zirconia and the periclase CaO and MgO, were measured calorimetrically. With optimized binary data for the systems ZrO2-MgO and ZrO2-CaO, which were reported elsewhere, and the data for MgO-CaO briefly discussed in this paper, the thermodynamics and phase diagram data of the ternary system were assessed by means of computational optimization. Good agreement between the experimental and computational results were obtained. The liquidus surface was also predicted and compared with the available experimental results.
KeywordsPhase Boundary Ternary System Halite Solid Solution Phase Excess Gibbs Energy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 49Tro:.Trojer and K. Konopicky,Radex Rundsch,4,161 (1949). SeeCeramicAbstr., March, 59c (1950).Google Scholar
- 68Car:.R.E. Carter and W.L. Roth,Electromotive Force Measurements in High Temperature Systems, C.B. Alcock, Ed., Inst. of Mining and Metallurgy, London, 125–144(1968).Google Scholar
- 68Foe:.M. Foex, “Electricity and MHD,” Proceedings of a Symposium, Warsaw, 24-30, July 1968. International Atomic Energy Agency, Vienna, Vol. V, 3139–3160 (1968). Also see [92How].Google Scholar
- 69Hen:.J.W. Henney and J.W.S. Jones,Trans. J. Br. Ceram. Soc.,68,201 (1969).Google Scholar
- 73Tak:.H. Takagi, G. Nishiyama, M. Nakano, and H. Matrumoto,Ber. Dt. Keram, Ges., 50,365 (1973).Google Scholar
- 74Aza:.S. de Aza, C. Richmond, and J. White,Trans. J. Br. Ceram. Soc., 73,109(1974).Google Scholar
- 81Stu:.VS. Stubican and J.R. Hellmann,Advances in Ceramics, Vol. 3, Science and Technology of Zirconia, A.H. Heuer and L.W. Hobbs, Ed.,Am. Ceram. Soc.,Inc.,Columbus,OH, 25–36(1981).Google Scholar
- 89Hil:.M. Hillert and X.Z. Wang, Internal Report of the Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden, TRTTA-MAC-0382, Nov. 1988;Calphad, 13, 261(1989).Google Scholar
- 91Din:.OXUNARY data bank, compiled by A.T. Dinsdale, NPL Ted- dington,UK(1991).Google Scholar
- 92Dul:.Y. DuandZ. Jin, Calphad, 16,22 (1992).Google Scholar
- 92Yin:.Yan Yin, supervisorsB.B. Argentand A.W. Bryant, Ph.D. thesis, Department of Engineering Materials, University of Sheffield, UK (1992).Google Scholar