Production and nutritional evaluation of extrusion-cooked full-fat soybean flour
- 338 Downloads
A processing method for preparing full-fat soybean flours for human consumption by a new extrusion-cooking method was developed. Biological evaluations were made of samples produced experimentally by this method to determine the best conditions for preparing a product of maximum nutritive value and stability. Twelve processed full-fat soybean flours, prepared under different conditions, were evaluated by means of chemical analyses, biological assays, available lysine content, organoleptic and bacteriological tests, and oxidative stability storage tests. Flour of high nutritive value and good stability can be prepared by preheating unextracted soybean flakes or grits to 200-212F, premixing and adding sparge steam at 212F to adjust moisture content to 18-21%, extruding for 1-1.5 min with final extrusion temp reaching 250-290F, cooling, drying and grinding. Clinical testing of the flour with infants up to 12 months of age has begun in two Far Eastern countries on a fairly extensive scale, and completed results should be available by late 1964.
KeywordsProtein Efficiency Ratio Northern Regional Research Laboratory Soybean Flake Nitrogen Solubility Index Tenox
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bird, H. R., R. V. Boucher, C. D. Caskey, Jr., J. W. Hayward and J. E. Hunter, J. Assoc. Offic. Agr. Chemists30, 354 (1947).Google Scholar
- 3.Feedstuffs 33(25), 1 (1961).Google Scholar
- 4.Hill, F. W., Feedstuffs31(34), 6 (1959).Google Scholar
- 5.Jiminez, A. A., T. W. Perry, R. A. Pickett and W. M. Beason, Feedstuffs33(44), 42 (1961).Google Scholar
- 6.Lyman, C. M., W. Y. Chang and J. R. Couch, J. Nutr.49, 679 (1953).Google Scholar
- 7.Milner, M., Food Technol.17(7), 26 (1963).Google Scholar
- 8.“Official and Tentative Methods,” AOCS, V. C. Mehlenbacher, T. H. Hopper and E. M. Sallee, eds., 2nd ed., rev. to 1959, Chicago, 111., 1945-1959.Google Scholar
- 9.Poats, F. J., H. O. Doty, Jr. and C. P. Eley, ERS Bull. 32, U.S. Dept. Agr., October 1961, p. 16.Google Scholar
- 10.Scrimshaw, N. S., Food Teehnol.17(7), 30 (1963).Google Scholar
- 12.Soybean Council of America, “Tentative Quality and Processing Guide for Edible Soy Flour or Grits,” July 1961.Google Scholar
- 13.Stephenson, E. L., and L. Tollett, Feedstuffs31(8), 8 (1959).Google Scholar