Identification of seven new humanMHC class I region genes around theHLA-F locus
- 106 Downloads
Using cDNA hybridization selection techniques, we identified seven new genes in a 280 kilobase YAC coveting theHLA-F locus. The new genes were mapped back to the YAC by a combination of optical restriction mapping and pulse field gel electrophoresis. Northern analysis of individual clones demonstrated the presence of either different mRNA sizes or different expression patterns. Two of the cDNA clones were expressed only in lymphoid cell lines: one in Jurkat cells (T cell) and another in JY cells (B cell). All the genes lacked sequence similarity to any known classical and non-classical major histocompatibility complex (MHC) class I genes, indicating that theMHC class I region has more functions than anticipated. Of the seven new genes, one is highly similar (97%) to mouse 60S ribosomal protein, and another is homologous to diubiquitin proteins. Of the two G-coupled receptor-like cDNAs, one was fully sequenced and found to be an olfactory receptor-like gene. The study strengthens evidence that theMHC complex not only plays a key role in the immune system, but also contributes to non-immunological functions.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Amadou, C., Ribouchon, M. T., Mattei, M. G., Jenkins, N. A., Gilbert, D. J., Copland, N. G., Avoustin, P., and Pontarotti, P. Localization of new genes and markers to the distal part of the human major histocompatibility complex (MHC) region and comparison with the mouse: new insights into the evolution of mammalian genomes.Genomics 26: 9–20, 1995PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Browning, J. L., Ngam-ek, A., Lawton, P., DeMarinis, J., Tizard, R., Chow, P., Hession, C., O’Brine-Greco, B., Fley, S. F., and Ware, C. F. Lymphotoxin-b, a novel member of the TNF family that forms a heteromeric complex with lymphotoxin on the cell surface.Cell 72: 847–856, 1993PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Geraghty, D. E., Pei, J., Lipsky, B., Hasen, J. A., Taillon-Miller, P., Bronson, S. K., and Chaplin, D. D. Cloning and physical mapping of the HLA class I region spanning the HLA-E to HLA-F interval by using yeast artificial chromosomes.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 89: 2669–2673, 1992PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Medori, R., Tritschler, H.-J., and Gambetti, P. A rapid and simple method for labeling short DNA fragments using Taq polymerase.BioTechniques 12: 350–353, 1992Google Scholar
- Pham-Dinh, D., Mattei, M.-G., Nussbaum, J.-L., Roussel, G., Pontarotti, P., Roeckel, N., Mather, I. H., Artzt, K., Lindahl K. F., and Dautigny, N. Myelin/oligodendrocyte glycoprotein is a member of a subset of the immunoglobulin superfamily encoded within the major histocompatibility complex.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 90: 7990–7994, 1993PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sharwar, S. M., and Rich, R. R., Ubiquitin-dependent and ubiquitin-independent proteolyfic pathway are involved in presentation of ND1 peptides by the MHC class I-B molecule H-2M3.The 9th International Congress of Immunology (Abstract 2738), p. 462, San Francisco, July 23–29, 1995Google Scholar