A comparison of techniques for nondestructive composition measurements in CdZnTe substrates
- 95 Downloads
We report an overview and a comparison of nondestructive optical techniques for determining alloy composition x in Cd1-xZnxTe substrates for HgCdTe epitaxy. The methods for single-point measurements include a new x-ray diffraction technique for precision lattice parameter measurements using a standard highresolution diffractometer, room-temperature photoreflectance, and low-temperature photoluminescence. We compare measurements on the same set of samples by all three techniques. Comparisons of precision and accuracy, with a discussion of the strengths and weaknesses of different techniques, are presented. In addition, a new photoluminescence excitation technique for full-wafer imaging of composition variations is described.
Key words:CdZnTe HgCdTe lattice constant nondestructive measurements photoluminescence photoreflectance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.W.M. Duncan, R.J. Koestner, J.H. Tregilgas, H.-Y. Liu and M.-C. Chen,Mat. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. 161, 39 (1990).Google Scholar
- 6.N. Magnea, F. Dal’bo, J.L. Pautrat, A. Million, L. DiCioccio and G. Feuillet,Mat. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. 90, 455 (1987).Google Scholar
- 8.D.K. Bowen and B.K. Tanner, to be published inJ. Appl. Cryst. Google Scholar
- 9.D.K. Bowen, B.K. Tanner, J.M. Hudson, I. Pape, N. Loxley and S. Tobin, to be published inAdv. X-ray Analysis 37 (1994).Google Scholar
- 10.B.K. Tanner, C. Xi and D.K. Bowen,Mat. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. 69, 191 (1986).Google Scholar
- 13.F.H. Pollack and H. Shen, to be published inMater. Sci. and Micro. Google Scholar
- 14.T.W. Steiner, M.L.W. Thewalt, R. Balasubramanian and B. Bollong, presented at Defect Recognition and Image Processing in Semiconductors (DRIP5), Santander, Spain, Sept. 6–10,1993 (to be published).Google Scholar
- 16.P.-K. Liao, G. Westphal, H.F. Schaake, B.E. Dean, G.T. Neugebauer, C.K. Ard, 1993 HgCdTe Workshop.Google Scholar