A Study of Ni-5wt.% Al coatings produced from different feedstock powder
- 57 Downloads
Ten different Ni-5wt.%Al powders—three clad, done sintered, three water atomized, and three gas atomized—have been evaluated and plasma sprayed. The study focused on how manufacturing method, chemical composition, and particle size distribution of the powders affect the quality of the coating. Properties such as microstructure and mechanical behavior, as well as oxidation and corrosion resistance, are discussed. In conclusion, recommendations concerning the selection of powders for different applications are presented.
Key wordsmanufacture method microstructure of coating nickel-aluminum powders oxidation resistance powder characterization powder morphology
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.ASTM B213-90, “Test Method for Flow Rate of Metal Powders,” ASTM, Philadelphia (1990).Google Scholar
- 2.ASTM B212-89, “Test Method for Apparent Density of Free-Flow- ing Metals Powders,” ASTM, Philadelphia (1989).Google Scholar
- 3.S. Sampath, G.A. Bancke, H. Herman, and S. Rangaswamy, Plasma Sprayed Ni-Al Coatings,Surf. Eng., 5(4), (1989) 293.Google Scholar
- 4.S. Sampath, H. Herman, and S. Rangaswamy, “Ni-Al Re-evalu- ated,” Proceedings of the National Thermal Spray Conference 14- 17 Sept. 1987, D.L. Houck, Ed., ASM, Materials Park, (1987) 47.Google Scholar
- 5.Metals Handbook, vol 8,8th ed., ASM, Materials Park, (1973)262.Google Scholar
- 6.ASTM C633-79, “Standard Test Method for Adhesion or Cohesive Strength of Flame-Sprayed Coatings,” ASTM, Philadelphia (1979).Google Scholar
- 7.G.H. Gessinger,Powder Metallurgy of Superalloys, Butterworths, London, (1984) 138.Google Scholar
- 8.R.T. Holt and W. Wallace, Impurities and Trace Elements in Nickel- Base Superalloys,Int. Met. Rev., 21, 1, Mar (1976).Google Scholar
- 9.ASTM B117-90, “Standard Test Method of Salt Spray (Fog) Test- ing,” ASTM, Philadelphia (1990).Google Scholar
- 10.Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, 55th ed., CRC Press, Cleveland, B-64, B-l 14 (1974).Google Scholar