The Effect of Pressure Modulation on the Flow of Gas through a Solid Membrane: Permeation and Diffusion of Hydrogen through Nickel
- 60 Downloads
The attenuation and phase lag of pressure modulations transmitted through a solid foil from one chamber to another may be used to assess the diffusion and solubility coefficients of diffusant gas in the solid. A linear approximation is used to describe the cases of flow into (1) pumped and (2) equilibrated output chambers. It is shown that experiments based on this kind of system allow self-consistency checks to confirm diffusion limited flow and that pumped systems allow direct estimation of the index of the power law describing permeation. Experiments with hydrogen in nickel using a pumped system demonstrate close adherence, over a wide range of experimental parameters, to the expected frequency variation of output.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. Volkl and G. Alefeld:Hydrogen in Metals, G. Alefeld and J. Volkl, eds., Springer Verlag, New York, NY, 1978, vol. 1, p. 321.Google Scholar
- 2.J. Volkl and G. Alefeld:Diffusion in Solids, A.S. Nowick and J.J. Burton, eds., Academic Press, New York, NY, 1975, p. 231.Google Scholar
- 3.H.A. Daynes:Proc. Roy. Soc, 1920, vol. A97, p. 286.Google Scholar
- 5.K. K. Shah, H.G. Nelson, D. L. Johnson, and F. M. Hamaker:Metall. Trans. A, 1975, vol. 6A, p. 373.Google Scholar
- 6.M. S. Carslaw and J. C. Jaeger:Conduction of Heat in Solids, OUP, Oxford, U.K., 2nd ed., 1959, p. 109.Google Scholar
- 9.W. M. Robertson: Proc. 2nd Int. Conf.,Environmental Degradation of Engineering Materials in Hydrogen, Blacksburg, VA, September 1981, M. R. Louthan, R. P. McNeil, and R. D. Sisson, eds. 10. Y. Hayashi, M. Nagano, and N. Ohtani: Hydrogen in Metals, Proc. 2nd J.I.M. Int. Symposium, Suppl. Trans. J.I.M., 1980, vol. 21, p. 201.Google Scholar
- 11.Y. Hayashi and A. Tahara:J. Jpn. Inst. Met., 1983, vol. 47, p. 180.Google Scholar
- 12.V.M. Robertson:Z. Metallkde., 1973, vol. 64, p. 436.Google Scholar
- 13.A.D. LeClaire: UKAEA Report AERE-R-10846, HMSO, 1982.Google Scholar
- 14.A.D. LeClaire: UKAEA Report AERE-R-9911, HMSO, 1981.Google Scholar