The triacylglycerol structure of olive oil determined by silver ion high-performance liquid chromatography in combination with stereospecific analysis
- 93 Downloads
The compositions of positionssn-1,sn-2 andsn-3 of triacylglycerols from “extra-virgin” olive oil (Olea europaea) were determined. The procedure involved preparation of diacyl-rac-glycerols by partial hydrolysis with ethyl magnesium bromide; 1,3-, 1,2- and 2,3-diacyl-sn-glycerols as (S)-(+)-1-(1-naphthyl)ethyl urethanes were isolated by highperformance liquid chromatography (HPLC) on silica, and their fatty acid compositions were determined. The same procedure was also carried out on the five main triacylglycerol fractions of olive oil after separation according to the degree of unsaturation by HPLC in the silver ion mode. Although stereospecific analysis of the intact triacyl-sn-glycerols indicated that the compositions of positionssn-1 andsn-3 were similar, the analyses of the molecular species demonstrated marked asymmetry. The data indicate that the “1-random, 2-random, 3-random” distribution theory is not always applicable to vegetable oils.
Key wordsChiral chromatography diacylglycerols high-performance liquid olive oil (Olea europaea) silver ion chromatography stereospecific analysis triacylglycerols
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Goiffon, J.-P., C. Remniac and D. Furon,Rev. Fr. Corps Gras 28:199 (1981).Google Scholar
- 2.Perrin, J.-L., and M. Naudet, Ibid.:279 (1983).Google Scholar
- 3.Goldberg Federico, L., A. Farini, T. Benelli and A. Daghetta,Riv. Ital. Sost. Grasse 46:102 (1969).Google Scholar
- 5.Motta, L., G. Carelli, G. Lercker, C. Mariani, O. Cozzoli and T. Zelinotti,Riv. Ital. Sost. Grasse 64:545 (1987).Google Scholar
- 6.Frega, N., F. Bocci and G. Lercker,Ital. J. Food Sci. 2:257 (1990).Google Scholar
- 7.Damiani, P., P. Fantozzi and G. Burini,Rassegna Chimica N. 6:305 (1988).Google Scholar
- 8.Brockerhoff, H., and M. Yurkowski,J. Lipid Res. 7:62 (1966).Google Scholar
- 10.Litchfield, C.,Analysis of Triglycerides, Academic Press, New York, NY, 1972.Google Scholar
- 14.Christie, W.W.,Fat Sci. Technol. 93:65 (1991).Google Scholar
- 17.Christie, W.W., inAnalysis of Oils and Fats, edited by R.J. Hamilton, and J.B. Rossell, Elsevier Applied Science Publishers, London, England, 1986, pp. 313–339.Google Scholar
- 18.Breckenridge, W.C., inHandbook of Lipid Research, Vol. 1, edited by A. Kuksis, Plenum Press, New York, NY, 1978, pp. 197–232.Google Scholar