Inner-shell ionization by positron and electron impact
Measurements of relative cross sections of K- and L-shell ionization of silver and gold targets by positron and electron impact at projectile energies of 30–70 keV are reported. The experiments were performed at the slow positron source TEPOS at the linac of the Strahlenzentrum. This source and the experimental equipment will be described briefly and the experimental results will be presented in detail. In addition, plane wave Born (PWBA) calculations were performed. They include an electron exchange term and the deceleration or acceleration of the incident projectile in the nuclear field of the target atom. The present experimental results agree well with these calculations; for L-shell ionization, they are at variance with a previous experiment where a different energy dependence was observed.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- N.F. Mott and H.S.W. Massey,The Theory of Atomic Collisions, 3rd Ed. (Oxford University Press, 1965).Google Scholar
- D.H. Madison and E. Merzbacher, in:Atomic Inner Shell Ionization Processes, Vol. I, ed. B. Crasemann (Academic Press, New York, 1975), p. 1.Google Scholar
- L. Sarkadi and T. Mukoyama, Bull. Inst. Chem. Res. Kyoto Univ. 58(1980)95.Google Scholar
- V.I. Ochkur, Sov. Phys. JETP 18(1964)503.Google Scholar
- See, for example, R. Hippler, in:Progress in Atomic Spectroscopy, Part C, ed. H.J. Beyer and H. Kleinpoppen (Plenum, New York, 1984), p. 511.Google Scholar
- G. Hock, in:XI ICPEAC Electronic and Atomic Collisions, Book of Abstracts, ed. K. Takanayagi and N. Oda (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1979), p. 974.Google Scholar
- P.J. Schultz, L.R. Logan, W.N. Lennard and G.R. Massoumi,Scanning Microscopy, to be published.Google Scholar