Effect of sizofiran on regional lymph nodes in patients with head and neck cancer
- 30 Downloads
The immunomodulating effects of preoperative sizofiran (SPG) administration on regional lymph nodes were studied in patients with stage III or IV head and neck cancer, by comparing the immunofunction of peripheral blood. The regional lymph nodes were dissected surgically, and freshly obtained mononuclear cells were studied to investigate the interleukin-2 (IL-2) production, the LAK and NK activities, and the quantitative analysis of the surface phenotype of the mononuclear cells. The results indicated that SPG enhanced immunological activities in the regional lymph nodes, as shown by increased IL-2 production and cytotoxic activities of the effector cells (NK, LAK), and increased helper T lymphocytes (CD4+) in the tumor-uninvolved lymph nodes. The immunofunction following SPG administration was attenuated, but was still augmented in the regional lymph nodes with metastases. Therefore, SPG was found to be a biologic response modifier to enhance the immunofunctions of the regional lymph node in patients with head and neck cancer.
Key wordssizofiran (SPG) immunofunction head and neck cancer regional lymph node
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Furue H. Biological characteristics and clinical effect of sizofilan(SPG). Drugs of Today 1987;23:335–46.Google Scholar
- 2.Mizuhira V, Ono M, Yokofujita J, Kinoshita M, Asano T, Hase T, Amemiya K. Histological and cytochemical studies on the distribution of schizophyllan glucan (SPG) in cancer-inoculated animal: I. Differences in distribution and anti-tumor activity of3H-SPG in sarcoma-180 inoculated females between ICR and DBA mice. Acta Histochem Cytochem 1985;18:221–54.Google Scholar
- 4.Okamura K, Suzuki M, Chihara T, Fujiwara A, Fukuda T, Goto S, Ichinohe K, Jimi S, Kasamatsu T, Kawai N, Mizuguchi K, Mori S, Nakano H, Noda K, Sekiba K, Suzuki K, Suzuki T, Takahashi K, Takeuchi K, Takeuchi S, Yajima A, Ogawa N. Clinical evaluation of schizophyllan combined with irradiation in patients with cervical cancer. A randomized controll study. Cancer 1986;58:865–72.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Tsuchiya Y, Yamamoto M, Igarashi M, Suzuki R, Kumagai K. Study on immunomodulating activity of an antitumor glucan, sizofiran at tumoral factor level. Clin Immunol 1986;18:575–84.Google Scholar
- 8.Michel RA, Kessler DJ, Taylor JMG, Lichtenstein A. Natural killer cell cytotoxicity in the periferal blood, cervical lymph nodes, and tumor of head and neck cancer patients. Cancer Res. 1988;48:5017–22.Google Scholar
- 9.Snyderman CH, Heo DS, Johnson JT, Damico F, Barnes L, Whiteside TL. Functional and phenotypic analysis of lymphocytes in head and neck cancer. Arch Otolaryng 1991;117:899–905.Google Scholar
- 16.Hanna N, Burton R. Definitive evidence that natural killer (NK) cells inhibit experimental tumor metastasis in vivo. Immunology 1981;127:1754–58.Google Scholar