The analysis and characterization of the oil from the seed of stillingia sylvatica
The characteristics and composition of the oil characterize it as a drying oil. Its high iodine value indicates that it may be suitably used for paints and varnishes and other products requiring a drying oil. The oil dried readily when spread on a glass plate in from 4–6 hours.
- 2.H. A. Frost, M.D., Am. J. Pharm.,20, 306 (1846).Google Scholar
- 3.Hilditch, T. D., “The Chemical Constitution of Natural Fats,” pp. 367–404, London, Chapman and Hall Ltd. (1940).Google Scholar
- 4.“The Merck Index,” 5th ed., p. 530, Rahway, N. J., Merck and Co. Inc. (1940).Google Scholar
- 5.Potts, W. M., and Bolley, D. S., Oil and Soap,23, 316–18 (1946).Google Scholar
- 6.Small, J. K., “Manual of Southwestern Flora,” Lancaster, Pa., Press of the Science Press Printing Co. (1933).Google Scholar