Identification ofEscherichia coli heat-labile enterotoxin by means of a ganglioside immunosorbent assay (GM1-ELISA) procedure
- 330 Downloads
A sensitive, quantitative method for determination ofEscherichia coli heat-labile enterotoxin (LT) is presented. The assay is based on the specific binding of LT to polystyrene-adsorbed GM1 ganglioside and subsequent enzyme immunological demonstration of the bound toxin. Enterotoxin titers determined with this GM1 enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) method agreed closely with those obtained with the adrenal cell bioassay. The GM1-ELISA procedure was capable of demonstrating LT in allE. coli overnight cultures that gave positive adrenal cell results. The simplicity and high reproducibility of the described method should make it well suited for routine laboratory diagnosis of LT enterotoxigenicE. coli strains.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Dafni, Z., Robbins, J. B. 1976. Purification of heat-labile enterotoxin fromEscherichia coli 078:H11 by affinity chromatography with antisera toVibrio cholerae toxin. Journal of Infectious Diseases133:S138-S141.Google Scholar
- 5.Engvall, E., Perlman, P. 1972. Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay, ELISA. III. Quantitation of specific antibodies by enzyme-labeled anti-immunoglobulin in antigen-coated tubes. Journal of Immunology109:129–135.Google Scholar
- 7.Evans, D. J., Jr., Evans, D. G., Richarson, S. H., Gorbach, S. L. 1976. Purification of the polymyxin-released, heat-labile enterotoxin ofEscherichia coli. Journal of Infectious Diseases133:S97-S102.Google Scholar
- 9.Guerrant, R. L., Branton, L. L., Schartman, T. C., Rebhun, L. I., Gilman, A. G. 1974. Cyclic adenosine monophosphate and alteration of the Chinese hamster ovary cell morphology: A rapid sensitivein vitro assay for enterotoxins ofVibrio cholerae andEscherichia coli. Infection and Immunity10:320–327.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.Holmgren, J., Söderlind, O., Wadström, T. 1973. Cross-reactivity between heat labile enterotoxins ofVibrio cholera andEscherichia coli in neutralization tests in rabbit ileum and skin. Acta Pathologica et Microbiologica Scandinavica Section B81:757–762.Google Scholar
- 17.Svennerholm, L. 1972. Gangliosides, isolation, pp. 464–474. In: Whistler, R. L., BeMiller, J. N. (eds.), Methods in carbohydrate chemistry, vol. 6. New York: Academic Press.Google Scholar