An example of health hazard: People killed by gas during a phreatic eruption: Diëng plateau (Java, Indonesia), February 20th 1979
- 199 Downloads
On February 20th, 1979, 142 inhabitants of Dieng Plateau (Indonesia) were asphyxiated by poisonous gases during a mild phreatic eruption. From later fields gas collection and analysis, the casualties are considered to be due to CO2 rich volcanic gases.
KeywordsIndonesia Steam Explosion Geothermal System Hydrocyanic Acid Threshold Limit Value
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Berita Berkala Vulkanologi,Bulletin of the Volcanological Survey of Indonesia for the Year 1960,103, 1978, 19–21.Google Scholar
- Le Guern, F., Gerlach, T. M., 1979a, High Temperature Gases from Merapi Volcano, Indonesia Application of a New Techniques for Field Gas Measurements. Pacific Northwest American Geophysical Union Meeting, Bend, Oregon, 17–18 Sept. 1979.Google Scholar
- ——, 1979 b,Analyse directe des gaz volcanologiques. C. R. Acad. Sc. Paris,288, série D. p. 867–870.Google Scholar
- Stehn, Ch. E., 1939,Steam Explosions at Timbang District, Batur Dieng. Netherl Ind. Volcanol. Sur. Bull.,90, p. 69.Google Scholar
- United States Federal Register, 1970,36. N. 105.Threshold Limit Values of Airborne Contaminants for 1970 Google Scholar