The 1972–1974 eruption of klyuchevskoy volcano, Kamchatka
A new Klyuchevskoy volcano eruptive cycle encompasses terminal (March 30, 1972 to August 23, 1974) and lateral (August 23, 1974 to December, 1974) eruption stages. The terminal eruption stage resulted in lava flows and parasitic cones that formed on the south-western flank of the volcano.
Eruption products are moderately alkalic high-alumina olivine-bearing andesite-basalts. The terminal eruption stage was accompanied by volcanic earthquakes and volcanic tremor. The lateral eruption was accompanied by explosive earthquakes. Volcanic tremor was the most useful prognostic sign indicating the onset of the lateral eruption. Eruptive mechanisms are discussed.
KeywordsLava Flow Focal Depth Earthquake Swarm Summit Crater Volcanic Tremor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dickey, J.S., Jr. andYoder, H.S., Jr., 1972,Partitioning Aluminum between Clinopyroxene and Spinel. Carnegie Inst. Annu. Rept. Dir. Geophys. Lab., 1971–72, Washington, D.C., p. 384–392.Google Scholar
- Erlank, A.J. andHofmeyer, P.K., 1966,K/Rb and K/Cs Ratios on Karroo Dolerites from South Africa. J. Geophys.,71-22, p. 5439–5446.Google Scholar
- Fedotov, S.A., 1972,The Energy Classification of the Kurile-Kamchatka Earthquakes and the Problem of Magnitudes. Moscow, Nauka, 116 pp. (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Gorelchik, V.I. andStepanov, V.V., 1976,Seismicity in the Region of the Northern Volcanic Group of Kamchatka in 1971–1972. In:Deep Structure, Seismicity and Some Peculiarities of Recent Activity of the Klyuchevskoy Volcano Group. Nauka, Vladivostok, p. 108–118 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Leonova, L.L., andKirsanov, I.T., 1974,Geochemistry of Basalts from Klyuchevskoy Volcano (Kamchatka). Geochimiya,6, p. 875–883 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Manson, V., 1967,Geochemistry of Basaltic Rocks: Major Elements. In:Basalts. Interscience, New York,1, p. 215–269.Google Scholar
- Tokarev, P.I., 1966,Eruptions and Seismic Regime of the Volcanoes of the Klyuchevskoy Group. Moscow, Nauka, 118 pp. (in Russian).Google Scholar