Mechanism of magma ascent and deep feeding channels of island arc volcanoes
- 73 Downloads
The paper discusses the mechanism of deep magma activity beneath island are volcanoes and similar structures on the basis of data from geophysical investigations in Kamchatka; the analyses of forces that cause the ascent of magma; and related phenomena that are due to hydrostatic forces.
It is shown that the ascent of magma through the astnenosphere occurs most likely in magma columns with a diameter of approximately 700–2,000 m and with a velocity of about 0.8–3 m/year. A regular line of such columns spaced in Kamchatka at a distance of about 30 km gives rise to a chain of separate Etrge volcanoes or volcanic centers.
Ultrabasic magmas are most likely accumulated near the M discontinuity, whereas the apparent place of andesitic magma accumulation is in the earth’s crust near the boundary between the basement and sediments.
KeywordsAsthenosphere Volcanic Belt Volcanic Center Primary Magma Magma Ascent
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Balesta, S. T., Utnasin, V. K. andAnosov, G. I., 1974,Structure of the Earth’s Crust beneath Volcanoes in Different Geostructural Zones from Geophysical Data. In:Geodynamics, Magma Formation and Volcanism. Petropavlosk-Kamchatsky, p. 76–82. (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Beloussov, V. V., 1966,The Earth’s Crust and Upper Mantle of Continents, Nauka, Moscow, 190 pp. (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Farberov, A. I., 1974,Magma Chambers of the Volcanoes of East Kamchatka from Scismic Data. Nauka, Moscow, 88 pp. (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Fedotov, S. A., 1968,On Deep Structure, Properties of the Upper Mantle, and Volcanism of Kurile-Kamchatkca Island Arc According to Seismic Data. Geophysical Monograph No. 12, Amer. Geoph. Union, Washington, p. 131–139.Google Scholar
- -----, 1974,On the Relation between Volcanoes and the Pacific Focal Layer, on the Mechanism of Ascent of magmas and a Possible position of the Mantle Feeding Areas of Volcanoes. In:Geodynamics, Magma Formation and Volcanism. Petropavlovski-Kamchatsky, p. 9–20 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- ----- andKuzin, I. P., 1963,Velocity Section of the Upper Mantle in the Region of the South Kurile Islands. Izv. AN SSSR, ses. geofiz., No. 5, p. 670–186 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- ————— andZobin, V. M., 1974,Seismicity of Kamchatka and Commander Islands during 1965–1968 According to Data of Detailed Investigations. In:Seismicity and Seismic Prediction, Properties of the Upper Mantle and Their Relation to Volcanism in Kamchatka. Nauka, Novosibirsk, p. 35–46 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Kovalev, G. N. andSlezin, Yu. B., 1974,Some Problems of the Volcanic Process Dynamics. In:Geodynamics, Magma Formation and Volcanism. Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky, p. 287–297 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Krass, M. S. andNapadensky, G. B., 1972,On the Mechanism of Gravitational Diapiric Tectogenesis. Vestnik Mosk. Gos. Univer., ser. geol., No. 3, p. 91–101 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Melekestzev, L. V., Braitseva, O. A., Erlich, E. N., Shantser, A. E., Chelebaeva, A. I., Lupikina, E. G., Egorova, I. A. andKozhemyaka, N. N., 1974,Kamchatkca, the Kurile and Commander Islands, History of the Evolution of the Siberian and Soviet Far East Relief. Nauka, Novosibirsk, 439 pp. (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Ramberg, H., 1967,Gravity, Deformation and the Earth’s Crust as Studied by Centrifuged Models. Academic Press, London, and New York, (Translation into Russian: «Mir», Moscow, 1972, 224 pp.).Google Scholar
- Ringwood, A. E., 1974,The Petrological Evolution of Island Arc Systems. Journ. of Roy. Geol. Soc.,130, part 3, p. 183–204.Google Scholar
- Seismicity and Seismic Prediction, Properties of the Upper Mantle and Their Relation to Volcanism in Kamchatka, 1974, Nauka, Novosibirsk, 220 pp. (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Slavina, L. B. andFedotov, S. A., 1974,Velocities of Longitudinal Waves in the Upper Mantle beneath Kamchatka. In:Seismicity and Seismic Prediction, Properties of the Upper Mantle and Their Relation to Volcanism in Kamchatka. Nauka, Novosibirsk, p. 179–188 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Tokarev, P. I., 1974,Seismic Activity of the Focal Layer of Kamchatka and Its Relation to Volcanism. In:Seismicity and Seismic Prediction, Properties of the Upper Mantle and Their Relation to Volcanism in Kamchatka. Nauka, Novosibirck, p. 166–176 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Ushakov, S. A. andKrass, M. S., 1972,Gravity and Problems of Mechanics of the Earth’s Interior. Nedra, Moscow, 157 pp. (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Utnasin, V. K., Abdurakhmanov, A. I., Anosov, G. I., Balesta, S. T., Budyansky, Yu. A., Markhinin, E. K. andFedorchenko, V. I., 1974,Deep Structure of the Klyuchevskaya Volcanic Group in Kamchatka and Some Aspects of the Problem of Magma Chambers. Sovetskaya geologiya,2, p. 36–54 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Zhuravleva, L. A. andRomanov, V. G., 1972,On an Approach to the Solution of One-measure Reverse Seismic Task with Inner Sources. Mathematical Problems of Geophysics,3, Novosibirsk, p. 42–50 (in Russian).Google Scholar