The large fissure eruption in the region of Plosky Tolbachik volcano in Kamchatka, 1975–1976
- 227 Downloads
The paper describes the course of the Large Tolbachik fissure eruption taking place in Kamchatka from July 6, 1975 to December 10, 1976. The eruption zone extended for 30 km. The formation of monogenic scoria cones nearly 300 m high, lava tubes and basalt sheets up to 80 m thick and more than 40 km2 in area and subsidence of the Plosky Tolbachik summit caldera to a depth of more than 400 m were observed during the eruption. The volume of eruption products amounted to more than 2 km3. It was the largest basalt eruption which has taken place in the Kurile-Kamchatka volcanic belt in historic time.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ermakov, V. A. andVazheevskaya, A. A., 1973,Ostry Tolbachik and Plosky Tolbachik Volcanoes. Bull. Volc. Stan.,49, Moscow, Nauka, p. 43–54 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Gusev, N.A., Dvigalo, V.N., Dobrynin, N.F., Maguskin, M.A., Seleznev, B.V., Skuridin, Yu.F. andShkred, V.I., 1979,Some Results of Experimental Investigations on Application of Photogrammetric Method in Studies of Dynamic Processes in Volcanology. J. Vulkanol and Seismol.,3, Moscow, Nauka, p. 30–36 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Landau, L.D. andLivshits, E.M., 1954,Mechanics of Solid Media, Moscow (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Melekestsev, I.V., 1973,Types and Age of the Kurile-Kamchatka Volcanoes. Bull. Volc. Stan.,49, Moscow, Nauka, p. 17–23 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Php, B.I., 1956,Klyuchevskoy Volcano and Its Eruptions in 1944 and 1945 and in the Past. Proc. Lab. Volcan.,11, Moscow, Izd. AN SSSR, p. 139–160 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Volynets, O.N., Flerov, G.B., Khrenov, A. P. andErmakov, V.A., 1975,Petrology of Volcanic Rocks of the Tolbachik Fissure Eruption. Dokl. AN SSSR,228-6, p. 1419–1422 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- —————, ————— andShcheka, S.A., 1978,Petrochemistry, Geochemistry and Problems of Rock Genesis during the Large 1975–1976 Tolbachik Fissure Eruption. Dokl. AN SSSR, 238-4, p. 940–943 (in Russian).Google Scholar