Preliminary report on the 1963 eruption of Mt.Agung in Bali (Indonesia)
- 363 Downloads
Mt. Agung in Bali which has been dormant for about hundred and twenty years showed increased activity on February 18 this year culminating with a paroxysmal eruption early in the morning on March 17; the second paroxysmal eruption occurred on May 16. The activity started with minor explosions in the main crater with the production of pyroclastics followed by the effusion of lavas which flowed over the lowest northern crater rim and the formation of nuées ardentes d’explosion which came down into the northwestern sector of the volcano. Successive nuées ardentes d’explosion which accompanied the paroxysmal cruption on March 17 and on May 16, came down along the southern, southeastern and northern slopes, devastating many villages. The first cycle of activity killed about 1700 people of which 1500 died from the nuées ardentes. Cold lahars, caused by heavy rainfall immediately after the eruption destroyed villages and constructions on the southern slope and killed about 200 more people. The nuées ardentes from the second paroxysmal eruption killed also about 200 more people who were all caught in the « Closed Zone ». A map showing the devastated area is presented.
KeywordsLava Flow Northern Slope Pyroclastics Eruption Cloud Lava Mass
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bemmelen, R. W. van (1949):The Geology of Indonesia Vol. I A. Government Printing Office, The Hague, 1949.Google Scholar
- 2.Kemmerling (1917):De vulkanen Goenoeng Batoer en Goenoeng Agoeng op Bali. Jb. Mijnwezen Ned. Ind., Verh. I, Batavia 1917.Google Scholar
- 3.Neuman van Padang, M. (1951):Catalogue of the active volcanoes including solfatara fields. Part I, Indonesia, 1951).Google Scholar
- 4.Perret, F. P. (1935):The Eruption of Mt. Pelée 1929–1932, Carnegie Institution of Washington.Google Scholar
- 5.Rittmann, A. (1952):Nomenclature of Volcanic Rocks, Bulletin Volcanologique. Serie II, Tome XII, 1952.Google Scholar
- 6.Rittmann, A. (1953):Magmatic character and tectonic position of the Indonesian volcanoes, Bulletin Volcanologique, Serie II, Tome XIV, 1953.Google Scholar
- 7.Yokoyama, I. (1956):Energetics in Active Volcanoes. 1st. paper. (Activities of Volcano Mihara, Ooshima island during the period 1953–1954). Bull. Eartquake Research Institute, XXXIV, 1956.Google Scholar
- 8.Yokoyama, I. (1957):Energetics in Active volcanoes, 2nd. paper, Bull. Earthquake Research Institute XXXV, 1957.Google Scholar
- 9.Yokoyama, I. (1957):Energetics in Active Volcanoes. 3rd. paper, Bull. Earthquake Research Institute XXXV, 1957.Google Scholar