The author suggests an empirical approach to calculating vent ratios from data available in the literature. Calculations are based upon Severity Indexes tabulated by the Bureau of Mines and the vent ratio nomograph of Schwab and Othmer once correlation factors have been determined. A procedure for determining correlation factors is explained.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Morozzo, Count, “Account of a Violent Explosion which happened in a Flour Warehouse at Turin, December 12, 1785,”The Repertory of Arts and Manufactures, Vol. 2, 1795, pp. 416–432.Google Scholar
- 2.Handbook of Industrial Loss Prevention, Factory Mutual Engineering Division, McGraw-Hill, 1959.Google Scholar
- 3.Maisey, H. R., “Gaseous and Dust Explosion Venting”, Part 1,Chemical and Process Engineering, Oct. 1965, pp. 527–535, 567.Google Scholar
- 4.Maisey, H. R., “Gaseous and Dust Explosion Venting”, Part 2,Chemical and Process Engineering, Dec. 1965, pp. 662–672.Google Scholar
- 6.Jacobson, M., Nagy, J., and Cooper, A. R., “Explosibility of Dusts Used in the Plastics Industry,” R.I. 5971, 1962, U.S. Bureau of Mines.Google Scholar
- 7.Jacobson, M., Nagy J., and Cooper, A. R., “Explosibility of Metal Powders,” R.I. 6516, 1964, U.S. Bureau of Mines.Google Scholar
- 8.Nagy, J., Dorsett, H. G., and Cooper, A. R., “Explosibility of Carbonaceous Dusts”, R.I. 6597, 1965, U.S. Bureau of Mines.Google Scholar
- 9.Jacobson, M.et al., “Explosibility of Agricultural Dusts”, R.I. 5753, 1961, U.S. Bureau of Mines.Google Scholar
- 10.Schwab, R. F. and Othmer, D. F., “Dust Explosions”,Chemical and Process Engineering, April 1964.Google Scholar
- 11.Dorsett, H. G.,et al., “Laboratory Equipment and Test Procedures for Evaluating Explosibility of Dusts,” R.I. 5624, 1960, U.S. Bureau of Mines.Google Scholar
- 13.Nagy, J.,et al., “Preventing Ignition of Dust Dispersions by Inerting,” R.I. 6543, 1964, U.S. Bureau of Mines.Google Scholar
- 14.“Guide to the Use of Flame Arresters and Explosion Reliefs”, Ministry of Labour, Safety, Health, and Welfare, New Series No. 34, H. M. Stationery Office, London.Google Scholar