Transcatheter hepatic segmental arterial embolization using lipiodol mixed with an anticancer drug and gelfoam particles for hepatocellular carcinoma
- 144 Downloads
Transcatheter hepatic segmental arterial chemoembolization using Lipiodol mixed with an anticancer drug followed by the injection of Gelfoam particles, introduced into the tumor-bearing hepatic segment as the target area (segemental Lipiodol-TAE), was carried out in 54 patients with hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC), 7 of whom were later resected. In 5 of the resected 7 cases, complete necrosis was histologically verified. No death due to HCC was encountered in 47 nonoperated cases, and better therapeutic results were obtained with segmental Lipiodol-TAE. It was concluded that this technique does not adversely affect normal tissues, and it does reinforece the effect of TAE.
Key wordsTranscatheter arterial embolization Flepatic segmental catheterization Lipiodot Chemoembolization Hepatocellular carcinoma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Kobayashi H, Hidaka H, Kajiyama Y, Tanoue H, Inoue K, Ikeda M, Nakajo M, Shinahara S (1986) Treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma by transarterial injection of anticancer agent in iodized oil suspension or of radioactive iodized oil solution. Acta Radiol (Diag) 27:139–147Google Scholar
- 7.Uchida H, Ohishi H (1986) Transcatheter arterial embolization for hepatic neoplasms—Usefulness of iodized oil mixed with anticancer agent. Proceedings of the International Symposium of Interventional Radiology, Tokyo, pp 72–76Google Scholar
- 8.Takayasu K, Shima Y, Muramatsu M, Yamada T, Makuuchi M, Hasegawa H, Hirohahi S (1987) Hepatocellular carcinoma: Treated with intraarterial iodized oil with and without chemotherapeutic agents. Radiology 162:345–351Google Scholar
- 10.Ohishi H, Yoshimura H, Uchida H, Sakagushi H, Yoshioka T, Ohue S, Matsui T, Takaya A, Tsuji T (1989) Transcatheter arterial embolization using iodized oil (lipiodol) mixed with an anticancer drug for the treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 23 (Suppl): s33–36.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Uchida H, Ohishi H, Matsuo N, Sakaguchi H, Yoshioka T, Sato O, Yoshimura H (1989) Transcatheter arterial chemoembolization using lipiodol mixed with anticancer agent (Lp-TAE) in the treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma. In: Hiramatsu K, Zeitler E, Rossi P (eds) Recent advances in interventional radiology and new vascular imaging. Elsevier Science Publishers B.V. Amsterdam, pp 55–63Google Scholar
- 14.Counaud C (1954) Lobes et segments hepatiques. Notes sur l'architecture anatomique et chirurgicale du foie. Presse Med 62:709–712 (Fre)Google Scholar