A branch-and-cut algorithm for a generalization of the Uncapacitated Facility Location Problem
- 91 Downloads
We introduce a generalization of the well-know Uncapacitated Facility Location Problem, in which clients can be served not only by single facilities but also by sets of facilitities. The problem, calledGaneralized Uncapacitated Facility Lacition Problem (GUFLP), was inspired by the Index Selection Problem in physical database design. We for mulate GUFLP as a Set Packing Problem, showing that our model contains all the clique inequalities (in polynomial number). Moreover, we describe and exact separation procedure for odd-hole inequalities, based on the particular structure of the problem. These results are used within a branch-and-cut algorithm for the exact solution of GUFLP. Computational results on two different classes of test problems are given.
KeywordsLocation Index Selection Problem Branch and Cut
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Caprara, A. and M. Fischetti (1993). “Odd-Cut Sets, Odd Cycles, and 0–1/2 Chvátal-gomory cuts”, working paper, University of Bologna.Google Scholar
- Ceria, S. (1994). “Solving Mixed Integer Programs with General Cutting Planes”, talk presented at the workshopSolving Large and Complex Optimization Problems, Giens.Google Scholar
- Cho, D.C., E.L. Johnson, M.W. Padberg and M.R. Rao, (1983). “On the Uncapacitated Plant Location Problem. I: valid Inequalities and Faces”,Mathematics of Operations Research 8, 579–589.Google Scholar
- Cho, D.C., M.W. Padberg and M.R. Rao, (1983) “On the Uncapacitated Plant Location Problem. II: Facets and Lifting Theorems”,Mathematics of Operations Research 8, 590–612.Google Scholar
- Cornuejols, G., G.L. Nemhauser and L.A. Wolsey (1991). “The Uncapacitated Facility Location Problem”, in P.B. Mirchandani, R.L. Francis.Discrete Location Theory, John Wiley.Google Scholar
- Cornuejols, G. and J.M. Thizy (1982). “A Primal Approach to the Simple Plant Location Problem”,SIAM Journal on Algebraic and Discrete Methods 3, 504–510.Google Scholar
- Grötschel, M., L. Lovász and A. Schrijver (1988).Geometric Algorithms and Combinatorial Optimization, Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- Guignard, M. (1980). “Fractional Vertices, Cuts and Facets of the Simple Plant Location Problem”,Mathematical Programming Study 12, 150–162.Google Scholar