Counterexamples to the Kneser conjecture in dimension four
- 29 Downloads
We construct a connected closed orientable smooth four-manifold whose fundamental group is the free product of two non-trivial groups such that it is not homotopy equivalent toM 0#M 1 unlessM 0 orM 1 is homeomorphic toS 4. LetN be the nucleus of the minimal elliptic Enrique surfaceV 1(2, 2) and putM=N∪ ∂NN. The fundamental group ofM splits as ℤ/2 * ℤ/2. We prove thatM#k(S 2×S2) is diffeomorphic toM 0#M 1 for non-simply connected closed smooth four-manifoldsM 0 andM 1 if and only ifk≥8. On the other hand we show thatM is homeomorphic toM 0#M 1 for closed topological four-manifoldsM 0 andM 1 withπ 1(Mi)=ℤ/2.
KeywordsFundamental Group Free Product Homotopy Equivalent Regular Neighborhood Simple Homotopy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cohen, M. M.,A course in simple homotopy theory, Graduate Texts in Mathematics10 (1973), Springer.Google Scholar
- Freedman, M. H.,The topology of four-dimensional manifolds, J. of Differential Geometry17 (1982), 357–353.Google Scholar
- Freedman, M. H.,The disk theorem for four-dimensional manifolds, Proc. Int. Cong. Math. Warsaw 1983 volume I, 647–663.Google Scholar
- Hillman, J. A.,Free products and 4-dimensional connected sums, preprint (1993).Google Scholar
- Hog, C., Lustig, M. andMetzler, W.,Presentation classes, 3-manifolds and free products, Proceedings of the ConferenceGeometry and Topology 1983–1984, University of Maryland, in: J. Alexander and J. Harer (eds.), Lecture Notes in Mathematics1167 (1985), 154–167.Google Scholar
- Kirby, R. C. andSiebenmann, L.,Foundational essays on topological manifolds, smoothings and triangulations, Annals of Mathematics Studies88 (1977), Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Kreck, M., Lück, W. andTeichner, P.,Stable Prime Decompositions of Four-Manifolds, preprint, Mainz (1994). To appear in the Proceedings of the Browder Conference 1994.Google Scholar
- Lyndon, R. C. andSchupp, P. E.,Combinatorial Group Theory, Ergebnisse der Mathematik und ihrer Grenzgebiete89 (1977), Springer.Google Scholar
- Serre, J. P.,A course in arithmetic, Graduate Texts in Mathematics7 (1977), Springer.Google Scholar