Inhibitory effect of fluoride on the secretion of insulin
- 66 Downloads
The oral administration of sodium fluoride (NaF) (40 μmol/100 body weight [bw]) to fasting rats produced an immediate fall in insulin levels and the consequent increase in glycemia. These phenomena were observed with plasma fluoride concentrations 5–15 μM. Glycemia and insulin returned to normal levels within 4–5 hours, together with the washing out of fluoride from plasma and soft tissues. The insulin secretion of isolated Langerhans islets, perifused with solutions containing 5, 10, or 20 μM fluoride, was found to be significantly inhibited as a function of fluoride levels, both with basal and stimulatory concentrations of glucose. One hour after the intake of 60 mg of NaF, fasting human volunteers showed increased fluoride (5–15 μM) together with a significant fall of plasma insulin levels.
Key wordsFluoride Insulin Hormone (secretion)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.United States Pharmacopeial Convention, Inc. (1988) Drug Information for the Health Care Professional, Vol. 1B 8th ed., U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention, Inc., Rockville, MD, p 1954Google Scholar
- 2.American Medical Association (1986) Drug evaluation, 6th. ed. Americal Medical Association, Chicago, p 892Google Scholar
- 3.Wasko ME, Price EW (1961) Determination of glucose by an improved enzymatic procedure. Clin Chem 7:542–548Google Scholar
- 8.Snedecor GW, Cochran WG (1967) Statistical methods. Iowa State University Press, Ames, IAGoogle Scholar
- 9.Conard V, Franckson JRM, Bastenie PA, Kestens J, Cocacs L (1953) Etude critique du triangle d'hyperglycémie intraveineuse chez l'homme normal et determination d'un coefficient d'assimilation glucidique. Arch Intern Pharmacodyn 93:277–289Google Scholar
- 10.Hodge HG (1964) Fluoride. in: Comar CL, Bronner F (eds) Mineral metabolism. An advanced treatise, Vol. 3. Academic Press, New York, pp 573–602Google Scholar
- 11.Chaleil D, Mauras Y, Allain P (1986) Oral pharmacokinetics of an enteric coated sodium fluoride preparation. Trace Elements Med 1:11–14Google Scholar
- 23.Sternweiss PC, Northup JK, Smigel MD, Gilman AG (1981) Regulatory components of adenylate cyclase. J Biol Chem 256:11517–11526Google Scholar