Autoxidation of methyl linoleate. Separation and analysis of isomeric mixtures of methyl linoleate hydroperoxides and methyl hydroxylinoleates
- 350 Downloads
The mixture of conjugated diene hydroperoxide isomers obtained from autoxidation of methyl linoleate was separated by high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC). Four major isomers were obtained from adsorption chromatography and identified as the 9 and 13 positional isomers having thetrans-trans andcis-trans configurations. The latter geometrical isomers have thetrans double bond adjacent to the hydroperoxide group. The hydroxy compounds (methyl hydroxylinoleates) obtained from the hydroperoxides by NaBH4 reduction were similarly separated but with improved resolution. This is the first instance of the complete separation of these compounds and provides a rapid method for their analysis. Unlike adsorption chromatography, reversed-phase chromatography separates the mixtures only according to the geometrical isomerism of the double bonds and not according to the position of the hydroxy or hydroperoxide function.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Gardner, H.W., Lipids 10:248 (1975).Google Scholar
- 5.Bergström, S., Arkiv. Kemi. Mineral Geol. 21A:1 (1945).Google Scholar
- 6.Privett, O.S., W.O. Lundberg, N.A. Khan, W.E. Tolberg, and D.H. Wheeler, JAOCS 30:61 (1953).Google Scholar
- 7.Cannon, J.A., K.T. Zilch, S.C. Burket, and H.J. Dutton, Ibid. 29:447 (1952).Google Scholar
- 8.Sephton, H.H., and D.A. Sutton, Ibid. 33:263 (1956).Google Scholar
- 13.Zilch, K.T., H.J. Dutton, and J.C. Cowan, JAOCS 29:244 (1952).Google Scholar
- 14.Chan, H.W.-S., F.A.A. Prescott, and P.A.T. Swoboda, Ibid. 53:572 (1976).Google Scholar
- 17.Gunstone, F.D. and W.C. Russell, J. Chem. Soc. 3782 (1955).Google Scholar
- 19.Jackson, J.E., R.F. Paschke, W. Tolberg, H.M. Boyd, and D.H. Wheeler, JAOCS 29:229 (1952).Google Scholar
- 20.Lundberg, W.O., J.R. Chipault, and M.J. Hendrickson, Ibid. 26:109 (1949).Google Scholar
- 21.British Standard 684: Methods of Analysis of Oils and Fats, 1958, p. 84.Google Scholar
- 22.Morris, L.J., R.T. Holman, and K. Fontell, JAOCS 37:323 (1960).Google Scholar