Effects of level and type of dietary fat on incidence of mammary tumors induced in female sprague-dawley rats by 7,12-dimethylbenz(α) anthracene
- 187 Downloads
Female Sprague-Dawley rats on semisynthetic diets containing 10% and 20% by weight of corn oil developed more mammary adenocarcinomas after treatment with a single oral dose of 7,12-dimethylbenz(α)anthracene than similar rats on diets containing only 0.5% or 5% corn oil. Experiments with 10 different fats and oils fed at the 20% level indicated that unsaturated fats enhance the yield of adenocarcinomas more than saturated fats. Fibroadenomas and adenomas were also found in small numbers in all dietary groups but the yield did not seem to be influenced by level or type of dietary fat. The possible relevance of these findings to the incidence of breast cancer in humans is discussed.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Tannenbaum, A., and H. Silverstone, in “Cancer” Vol. 1 Edited by R.W. Raven, Butterworth & Co., Ltd., London, 1957, p. 306–334.Google Scholar
- 10.Hems, G., Brit., J. Cancer. 24:226–234 (1970).Google Scholar
- 14.Luddy, F.E., R.A. Barford, S.F. Herb and P Magidman, JAOCS 45:549–552 (1968).Google Scholar
- 15.Herb, S.F., P. Magidman and R.W. Riemenschneider, Ibid. 37:127–129 (1960).Google Scholar
- 16.Downey, R.K., B.M. Craig and C.G. Youngs, Ibid. 46:121–123 (1969).Google Scholar
- 17.Jellum, M.D., and R.E. Worthington, Ibid., 43:661–664 (1966).Google Scholar
- 18.Putt, E.D., B.M. Craig and R.B. Carson, Ibid. 46:126–129 (1969).Google Scholar
- 19.Fieser, L.F., “Experiments in Organic Chemistry,” Third Edition, D.C. Heath & Co., Boston, 1955, p. 328.Google Scholar
- 21.Deuel, Jr., H.J., “The Lipids”, Vol. 2 Interscience Publishers Inc., New York, 1955, p. 222.Google Scholar
- 26.Harman, D., Clin. Res. 17:125 (1969).Google Scholar