Helix splines as an example of affine Tchebycheffian splines
- 107 Downloads
The present paper summarizes the theory of affine Tchebycheffian splines and presents an interesting affine Tchebycheffian free-form scheme, the “helix scheme”. The curve scheme provides exact representations of straight lines, circles and helix curves in an arc length parameterization. The corresponding tensor product surfaces contain helicoidal surfaces, surfaces of revolution and patches on all types of quadrics. We also show an application to the construction of planarC 2 motions interpolating a given set of positions. Because the spline curve segments are calculated using a subdivision algorithm, many algorithms, which are of fundamental importance in the B-spline technique, can be applied to helix splines as well. This paper should demonstrate how to create an affine free-form scheme fitting to certain special applications.
KeywordsFree-form curve B-spline Tchebycheffian spline blossoming tensor product surface screw motion helix helicoidal surface quadric surface motion design
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- W. Blaschke,Vorlesungen über Differentialgeometrie II: Affine Differentialgeometrie (Springer, Berlin, 1923).Google Scholar
- M. Eck, MQ-curves are curves in tension, in:Mathematical Methods in CAGD and Image Processing, ed. T. Lyche and L.L. Schumaker (Academic Press, Boston, 1992).Google Scholar
- G. Farin,Curves and Surfaces for Computer Aided Geometric Design, 2nd ed. (Academic Press, 1990).Google Scholar
- Q.J. Ge and B. Ravani, Computer aided geometric design of motion interpolants,Proc. 1991 ASME Design Automation Conf., DE-Vol. 32–2 (1991) pp. 33–41.Google Scholar
- P.E. Koch and T. Lyche, Exponential B-splines in tension, in:Approximation Theory, ed. C.K. Chui, L.L. Schumaker and J.D. Ward (Academic Press, New York, 1989), pp. 361–364.Google Scholar
- P.E. Koch and T. Lyche, Construction of exponential tension B-splines of arbitrary order, in:Curves and Surfaces, ed. P.J. Laurent, A. LeMéhauté and L.L. Schumaker (Academic Press, Boston, 1991) pp. 255–258.Google Scholar
- .P.E. Koch and T. Lyche, Interpolation with exponential B-splines in tension, in:Geometric Modeling, ed. G. Farin et al. (Computing/Suppl. 8, 1993).Google Scholar
- H. Pottmann and T.D. DeRose, Classification using normal curves, in:Curves and Surfaces in Computer Vision and Graphis II, SPIE Proc. 1610(1991)217–228.Google Scholar
- L.L. Schumaker,Spline Functions: Basic Theory (Wiley-Interscience, New York, 1981).Google Scholar
- M.G. Wagner and H. Pottmann, Rational B-spline motions, to be published.Google Scholar