The volume conductor may act as a temporal filter on the ECG and EEG
- 212 Downloads
The influence of the volume conductor on the EEG, MEG, fetal ECG and fetal MCG is studied by means of simulations. The assumption that the Maxwell equations can be used in a quasi-static approximation is reconsidered and the fact that the conductivity of human tissue is frequency dependent is taken into account. It is found that displacement currents have a substantial effect on the fetal ECG and to a lesser degree on the fetal MCG. Moreover, the frequency dependence of the conductivity of the tissues within the head may have a considerable effect on the EEG.
KeywordsVolume conductor Electroencephalography Magnetoencephalography Fetal electrocardiography Fetal magnetocardiography
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Kosterich, D. J., Foster, K. R. andPollack, S. R. (1983): ‘Dielectric permittivity and electrical conductivity of fluid saturated bone’,IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng.,BME-30, pp. 81–86Google Scholar
- Oostendorp, T. F. (1989): ‘Modeling the fetal ECG’, PhD thesis, Catholic University of Nijmegen, The NetherlandsGoogle Scholar
- Pethig, R. (1979): ‘Dielectric and electronic properties of biological materials’ (John Wiley & Sons, Chichester)Google Scholar
- Quinn, A., Weir, A. I., Shahani, U., Bain, R., Maas, P. andDonaldson, G. (1994): ‘Antenatal fetal magnetocardiography: a new method for fetal surveillance?’,Brit. J. Obstetr. Gynaecol.,101, pp. 866–870Google Scholar
- Rush, S., Abildskov, J. A. andMcFee, R. (1963): ‘Resistivity of body tissues at low frequencies’,Circ. Res.,XII, pp. 40–50Google Scholar
- Schwan, H. P. (1957): ‘Electrical properties of tissue and cell suspensions’,in Tobias, C. A. (Ed.): ‘Advances in biological and medical physics’ (Academic Press, New York) pp. 147–209Google Scholar
- Schwan, H. P. andKay, C. F. (1956): ‘Specific resistance of body tissues’,Circ. Res.,IV, pp. 664–670Google Scholar
- Stuchly, M. A. andStuchly, S. S. (1980): ‘Dielectric properties of biological substances—tabulated’,J. Microwave Power,15, pp. 19–26Google Scholar