Analytical use of proton-induced X-ray emission
- 31 Downloads
Proton-induced X-ray emission, PIXE, is capable of simultaneous quantitative determination of 10–15 elements. An introduction to the physical properties of the method is given and detection limits are shown for a routine analysis of a thin aerosol sample. Examples of applications to both thick and thin samples are presented. Human tooth dentine is analysed for lead, with simple sample preparation, indicating lead values of a few ppm for Swedish children. Quantitative analyses of several other elements are obtained simultaneously. Cascade impactors are used for sampling aerosols in work environment during welding operations giving information of size distribution and concentrations of the elements present. The aerosol is dominated by particle sizes between 0.5 and 2 μm as measured by the impactor, but the size distributions are different for different elements and welding techniques and depend on the distance from the welding source. The relative abundance of the elements found in the aerosol indicates the presence of fractionation mechanisms.
KeywordsWelding PIXE Cascade Impactor Welding Technique Breathing Zone
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.S. A. E. JOHANSSON, T. B. JOHANSSON, Submitted to Nucl. Instr. Methods.Google Scholar
- 5.J. A. COOKSON, A. T. G. FERGUSON, F. D. PILLING, J. Radioanal. Chem., 12 (1972) 39.Google Scholar
- 7.M. AHLBERG, R. AKSELSSON, B. FORKMAN, G. RAUSING, Archaeometry, 18 (1975) 39.Google Scholar
- 8.C. H. STREHLOW, Doctorial dissertation, New York University, 1972.Google Scholar
- 9.M. AHLBERG, R. AKSELSSON, Intern. J. Appl. Radiation Isotopes (in the press).Google Scholar
- 15.R. AKSELSSON, C. ORSINI, D. L. MEINERT, T. B. JOHANSSON, R. E. VAN GRIEKEN, H. C. KAUFMANN, K. R. CHAPMAN, J. W. NELSON, J. W. WINCHESTER, Adv. X-ray Anal., 18 (1975) 588.Google Scholar
- 16.R. AKSELSSON, G. JOHANSSON, K. MALMQVIST, J. FRISMARK, T. B. JOHANSSON, Proc. 2nd Intern. Conf. on Nuclear Methods in Environmental Research, 1974, p. 395.Google Scholar
- 17.K. MALMQVIST, G. JOHANSSON, R. AKSELSSON, T. B. JOHANSSON, Status Report, 1975, LUNP 7508.Google Scholar
- 18.R. AKSELSSON, G. DESAEDLEER, T. B. JOHANSSON, J. W. WINCHESTER, Presented at the 4th Intern. Symp. on Inhaled Particles and Vapours, 1975.Google Scholar