In-shoe biaxial shear force measurement: The Kent shear system
The Kent shear system is introduced and preliminary clinical results are presented. A technique utilising copolymer piezoelectric film has allowed the manufacture of biaxial in-shoe transducers capable of simultaneously measuring two orthogonal shear forces. Bipedal measurements are carried out inside everyday footwear over multiple footsteps.
KeywordsBiaxial Bioengineering Biomechanics Gait analysis In-shoe Piezoelectric film Shear force Transducer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Abboud, R. J., Nevill, A. J., Abel, E. W. andRowley, D. I. (1992): ‘A foot pressure/EMG measurement system for use in clinical orthopaedic biomechanics’. 14th Ann. Int. Conf. of IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, 29 October–1 November, Paris, France, Part 1, pp. 50–51Google Scholar
- Abboud, R. J., Nevill, A. J., Abel, E. W., andRowley, D. I. (1993): ‘Temporal relationship between EMG and foot pressure measurement for study of human gait,’Foot Ankle,14, pp. 300.Google Scholar
- Akhlaghi, F. (1995): ‘An in-shoe biaxial shear force transducer utilising piezoelectric copolymer film and the clinical assessment of in-shoe forces’. PhD Thesis, University of Kent, Canterbury, UKGoogle Scholar
- Khodadadeh, S. (1987): ‘Quantitative approach to osteoarthritic gait assessment,’Eng. Med.,16, (1), pp. 9–14Google Scholar
- Lord, M., Hosein, R., andWilliams, R. B. (1992): ‘A method for in-shoe shear stress measurement,’J. Biomed. Eng.,14, pp. 181–186Google Scholar
- Nevill, A. J. (1991): ‘A foot pressure measurement system utilising PVdF and copolymer piezoelectric transducers’. PhD Thesis, University of Kent, Canterbury, UKGoogle Scholar
- Nevill, A. J., Pepper, M. G., andWhiting, M. (1995): ‘In-shoe foot pressure measurement system utilising piezoelectric film transducers,’Med. Biol. Eng. Comput.,33, (1), pp. 76–81Google Scholar
- Nix, E. L., andWard, I. M. (1986): ‘The measurement of the shear piezoelectric coefficients of Polyvinylidene Fluoride’Ferroelectrics,67, pp. 137–141Google Scholar
- Pollard, J. P., Le Quesne, L. P., andTappin, J. W. (1983): ‘Forces under the foot,’J. Biomed. Eng.,5, pp. 37–40Google Scholar
- Tappin, J. W., andRobertson, K. P. (1991): ‘Study of the reactive timing of shear forces on the sole of the forefoot during walking,’J. Biomed. Eng.,13, pp. 39–42Google Scholar