The heat shock genes in theDrosophila montium subgroup: Chromosomal localization and evolutionary implications
- 47 Downloads
Thehsp70, hsp83, hsrω, and thesmall heat shock protein genes were mapped on the polytene chromosomes of six species, representative of the geographical distribution of theDrosophila montium subgroup of themelanogaster species group. In addition, based on hybridization conditions, the putative locus of thehsp68 gene is given. In contrast to the situation in themelanogaster subgroup species, thehsp70 locus is single in themontium species. Thehsp83, hsrω and thesmall hsp loci are also single in themontium genomes studied here, a common feature of allDrosophila species. Among thehsp genes studied, thesmall hsp genes and thehsrω-homologous sequences exhibit a higher degree of divergence between themelanogaster and themontium subgroups. Our results support the idea that themontium subgroup species has a genome organization closer to that of the common ancestor compared with themelanogaster subgroup species.
KeywordsHeat Shock Polytene Chromosome Heat Shock Gene Heat Shock Protein Gene Balbiani Ring
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ashburner M (1989)Drosophila: a laboratory handbook. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor, NYGoogle Scholar
- Lemeunier F, David JR, Tsacas I, Ashburner M (1986) Themelanogaster species group. In: Ashburner M, Carson HL, Thompson J (eds) The genetics and biology ofDrosophila, vol 3e. Academic Press, London Orlando, pp 147–256Google Scholar
- Nikolaidis N, Scouras ZG (1996) TheDrosophila montium subgroup species. Phylogenetic relationships based on mitochondrial DNA analysis. Genome (in press)Google Scholar
- Pardue ML (1986) In situ hybridization to DNA of chromosomes and nuclei. In: Roberts DB (ed)Drosophila a practical approach. IRL Press, Oxford Washington DC, pp 111–137Google Scholar
- Parkash R, Rajput PS (1983) Photomap of the salivary gland chromosomes ofD. jambulina (Parshad and Paika). Dros Inf Serv 59:96–98Google Scholar
- Roy S, Lakhotia SC (1977) Photomap of salivary chromosomes ofDrosophila kikkawai. Dros Inf Serv 52:118–119Google Scholar