Dependence of the relative retention of organic compounds on the nature and pressure of the carrier gas and on the thickness of the PEG-20M film in the capillary column
- 22 Downloads
The effects of the carrier gas nature and pressure on the relative retention values of organic compounds were studied using a series of capillary columns differing in the film thickness of the polar stationary phase (PEG-20M). Relative retention depends linearly on the carrier gas pressure. This dependence becomes more pronounced in the following order of carrier gases: helium < nitrogen < carbon dioxide. The limiting relative retention at a carrier gas pressure approaching zero rather than relative retention values measured experimentally (relative retention time, Kovats retention index,etc.) is an invariant characteristic of a compound subjected to chromatography. For the carrier gases studied, the limiting retention values almost does not depend on the nature of the carrier gas used. The limiting indicating the complex absorption-adsorption nature of these parameters. Dissolution of a carrier gas in the stationary liquid phase has an effect on the relative retention.
Key wordscapillary gas chromatography carrier gas retention on PEG-20M dependence of retention on the carrier gas pressure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. S. Vigdergauz, L. V. Semenchenko, V. A. Ezrets, and Yu. N. Bogoslovskii,Kachestvennyi gazokhromatograficheskii analiz [Qualitative Gas-Chromatographic Analysis], Nauka, Moscow, 1978, 244 pp. (in Russian).Google Scholar
- 2.G. Guiochon and C. L. Guillemin,Quantitative Gas Chromatography, Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1988.Google Scholar
- 4.V. G. Berezkin, A. A. Korolev, and I. V. Malyukova,Zh. Anal. Khim., 1997,52, 164[J. Anal. Chem., 1997,52 (Engl. Transl.)].Google Scholar
- 6.J. R. Conder and C. L. Young,Physico-Chemical Measurement by Gas Chromatography, J. Wiley, Chichester, 1978.Google Scholar
- 7.V. G. Berezkin,Gas-Liquid-Solid Chromatography, Marcel Dekker, New York, 1990, 232 pp.Google Scholar