Retention behavior of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in supercritical fluid chromatography on a chemically bonded stationary phases based upon liquid-crystalline polymer
- 57 Downloads
The retention behavior of a set of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in supercritical fluid chromatography have been studied on a chemically bonded stationary phase based upon a side chain liquid crystalline polymer (LCP) with carbon dioxide-based mobile phase. The effects of the mobile phase pressure, column temperature and amount of mobile phase organic modifier have been investigated in order to detect a possible structural change in the liquid crystal polymer linked to the silica support. The influence of these factors on the selectivity coefficients has also been studied. Two distinctive behaviors with temperature are noted at low pressure on the one hand and at higher pressure on the other. This change in behavior is based on the density of the supercritical CO2 and the PAH volatility rather than on any specific stationary phase structural change. Both lower mobile phase pressure and amount of mobile phase modifier are required to obtain better selectivities. Better planarity recognition is observed in SFC than in HPLC with these new bonded liquid crystal stationary phases. The bonded liquid crystal phase is only weakly affected by the addition of organic modifier in the supercritical CO2.
Key WordsSupercritical fluid chromatography Liquid crystal stationary phases Polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Finkelman, H.; Laub, R.J.; Roberts, W.L.; Smith, C.A. InPolynuclear Aromatic Hydrocarbons: Physical and Biological Chemistry: Cooke, M.; Dennis, A.J.; Fisher, G.L. Eds, Battele Press, Columbus, OH,1982.Google Scholar
- Klein, B.H.; Springer, J.J. Liq. Chromatogr. 1991,14, 1519.Google Scholar
- Klein, B.H.; Springer, J.J. Liq. Chromatogr. 1991,14, 1539.Google Scholar
- Terrien, I.Ph.D. thesis, Université Bordeaux I, No 19111998.Google Scholar
- Chang, H.-C.K.; Markides, K.E.; Bradshaw, J.S.; Lee, M.L.J. Chromatogr. Sci.,1988,26, 280.Google Scholar
- Félix, G.; Terrien, I.; Gritti, F.; Achard, M.-F.; Hardouin, F. HPLC'99, Grenada, May 30–June 4,1999.Google Scholar
- Gritti, F.; Terrien, I.; Félix, G.; Menut, F.; Duffoure, E.; Achard, M.-F.; Hardouin, F.J. Chromatogr. submitted for publication.Google Scholar
- Rosset, R.; Caude, M.; Jardy, A.Chromatographies en phase liquide et supercritique, Eds, Masson, Paris,1991.Google Scholar
- Gritti, F.; Félix, G.; Achard, M.-F.; Hardouin, F.J. Chromatogr. In press.Google Scholar
- Mourier, P.; Ph. D. thesis, Université Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris,1986.Google Scholar