Retention behavior of basic compounds on alkylphosphonate-modified magnesia-zirconia composite stationary phase in RPHPLC
- 69 Downloads
The chromatographic properties of an alkylphosphonate-modified magnesia-zirconia composite stationary phase have been investigated by reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography with basic compounds as probes. The influence of organic modifier composition and mobile phase pH was studied. The new stationary phase, similar to a silica-based reversed-phase stationary phase, has hydrophobic properties, but greater pH stability. Use of the phase results in more symmetric peaks for basic compounds.
A possible mechanism of retention of basic solutes on the new stationary phase is discussed. The chromatographic behavior of the basic solutes depends mainly on hydrophobic interactions between the solutes and the hydrophobic moiety of the stationary phase. Brönsted acidic and basic sites on the surface of the new stationary phase play an important role in the retention of ionized solutes by ion-exchange interaction. Promising separations of some basic compounds have been achieved by use of methanolic TRIS buffer, pH 10.0, as the mobile phase.
Key WordsColumn liquid chromatography Stationary phase Alkylphosphonate-modified magnesia-zirconia Basic compounds
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Kirkland, J.J.; Glajch, J.L.; Farlee, R.D.Anal. Chem. 1989,61, 2.Google Scholar
- Hanggi, D.A.; Marks, N.R.LC-GC 1993,11, 128.Google Scholar
- Shargin, L.M.; Galkin, V.A.; Moiseev, V.E.; Ponomarieu, V.G.; Davankov, V.A.; Kurganov, A.A.; Ponomarieva, T.M.Zhur. Fiz. Khim. 1991,66, 2677.Google Scholar
- Zhang, Q. -H.; Feng, Y. -Q.; Da, S. -L.Chromatographia 1999,50, 654.Google Scholar
- Feng, Y. -Q.; Zhang, Q. -H.; Da, S. -L.; Zhang, Y.Chemical J. Chinese Univ. 1999,20 (Suppl.) 253.Google Scholar
- Feng, Y. -Q.; Zhang, Q. -H.; Da, S. -L. Patent for Invention in China Appl. No. 9812696. X 1998.Google Scholar
- Hu, H. -J.; Feng, Y. -Q.; Zhang, Q. -H.; Da, S. -L.Anal. Lett. 1999,32, 2761.Google Scholar
- Feng, Y. -Q.; Zhang, Q. -H.; Da, S. -L.; Zhang, Y.Anal. Sci. in press.Google Scholar
- Fu, H. -J.; Feng, Y. -Q.; Zhang, Q. -H.; Da, S. -L.; Zhang, Y. -J.Chinese J. Chromatogr. in press.Google Scholar
- On-line log P calculation by Interactive LOGKOW Demo in http://esc.syrres. -com/ESC/≈-kowint.htmGoogle Scholar