High-order asymptotic analysis for the crack in nonlinear material
- 9 Downloads
Accurate high-order asymptotic analyses were carried out for Mode II plane strain crack in power hardening materials. The second-order crack tip fields have been obtained. It is found that the amplitude coefficientk 2 of the second term of the asymptotic field is correlated to the first order field as the hardening exponentn<n * (n *≈5), but asn≥n *,k 2 turns to become an independent parameter. Our results also indicated that, the second term of the asymptotic field has little influence on the near-crack-tip field and can be neglected whenn<n *. In fact,k 2 directly reflects the effects of triaxiality near the crack tip, the crack geometry and the loading mode, so that besidesJ-integral it can be used as another characteristic parameter in the two-parameter criterion.
Key Wordsasymptotic analysis near-crack-tip field triaxiality
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Rice JR. A path independent integral and the approximate analysis of strain concentration by notches and cracks. J Appl Mech, 1968, 35: 377–386Google Scholar
- 5.Shih CF and German MD. Requirements for a one parameter characterization of crack tip fields by The HRR singularity. Int J Fracture Mech, 1981, 17: 27–43Google Scholar
- 6.McMeeking RM and Parks DM. Elastic-Plastic Fracture Mechanics ASME STP, 1979, 668: 175–194Google Scholar
- 7.Needleman A and Tvergaard V. Elastic-Plastic Fracture: Second Symposium, Volume I Inelastic Crack Analysis. ASME STP. 1983, 803: 80–115Google Scholar
- 8.Wang TC. Proceedings of ICF International Symposium on Fracture Mechanics (Beijing). 1983: 243–248Google Scholar
- 11.O'Dowd NP and Shih CF, Family of Crack-Tip Fields Characterized by a Triaxiality Parameter: Part II—Fracture applications. to appear in J Mech Phys SolidsGoogle Scholar
- 12.Betegon C and Hancock JW. J Appl Mech, 1991, 58: 104–110Google Scholar
- 14.Symington M, Shih CF, and Ortiz M. Brown University Report, MRG/DMR 8714665/1 1988Google Scholar