MHD unsteady flows due to non-coaxial rotations of a disk and a fluid at infinity
- 68 Downloads
Exact analytical solution for flows of an electrically conducting fluid over an infinite oscillatory disk in the presence of a uniform transverse magnetic field is constructed. Both the disk and the fluid are in a state of non-coaxial rotation. Such a flow model has a great significance not only due to its own theoretical interest, but also due to applications to geophysics and engineering. The resulting initial value problem has been solved analytically by applying the Laplace transform technique and the explicit expressions for the velocity for steady and unsteady cases have been established. The analysis of the obtained results shows that the flow field is appreciably influenced by the applied magnetic field, the frequency and rotation parameters.
Key Wordsgeneral periodic oscillation non-coaxial rotation magnetohydrodynamic flow Laplace transform
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Stangeby PC. A review of the status of MHD power generation technology including suggestions for a Canadian MHD research program. UTIAS Rev, 1974, 39Google Scholar
- 2.Lielausis OA. Liquid-metal magnetohydrodynamics.Atomic Energy Rev, 1975, 13: 527–581Google Scholar
- 4.Lyons JM, Turcotte DL. A study of MHD induction devices. AFOSR-TR-1864, 1962Google Scholar
- 5.Bernstein IB, Fanucci JB, Fischbeck KH, et al. An electrodeless MHD generator. In: 2nd Symposium on the Engineering Aspects of Magnetohydrodynamics, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, 1961Google Scholar
- 7.Ramamurty G, Shanker B. Magnetohydrodynamic effect on blood flow through a porous channel.Med Biol Eng Comput, 1994, 32: 655–659Google Scholar
- 8.Berker R. Handbook of Fluid Dynamics, Vol. VIII/3, Berlin: Springer, 1963. 87Google Scholar