Lipoma of the esophagus—Report of a case and review of the literature
- 38 Downloads
We report herein, a rare case of esophageal lipoma and review the Japanese literature on this subject. Lipoma of the alimentary tract is relatively uncommon but that of the esophagus is extremely rate with only 17 cases having been reported in Japan. The majority of these cases occurred in the cervical esophagus with the most serious symptom being regurgitation of the pedunculated tumor which lead to asphyxia and death in one case. Only 2 cases occurred in the thoracic esophagus and these tumors were small in size and resected endoscopically. This is the first reported case of an esophageal lipoma being located in the thoracic esophagus which was resected through a thorocotomy. The clinical features of esophageal lipoma are also described herein.
Key Wordslipoma thoracic esophagus surgical reseaction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hosokawa O, Shirasaki I, Sandou N. Endoscopic removal of esophageal lipoma. Gastroenterological Endoscopy 1985; 27: 738–743. (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 2.Oyamada H, Kishi T, Yoshie S, Kogawa T, Yoshikawa T, Kondo M. A case of esophageal lipoma resected endoscopically. Shindan to Chiryo 1987; 75: 2747–2750. (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 3.Mayo CW, Pagutalunan PJG, Brown DJ. Lipoma of the alimentary tract. Surgery 1963; 53: 593–603.Google Scholar
- 4.Ishihara A, Yamagiwa Y, Matsuzaki O. Lipoma of the colon. Gan no Rinsho 1980; 26: 376–381. (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 5.Allen MS Jr, Charlottesville Va, Talbot WH. Sudden death due to regurgitation of a pedunculated esophageal lipoma. J Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery 1967; 54: 756–758.Google Scholar
- 6.Noguchi M, Yoshii M, Mitsuno S. A case of a giant esophageal lipoma vomited after endoscopy. Gastroenterological Endoscopy 1982; 24: 1982. (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 7.Tasaka Y, Makimato K, Yamauchi M, Haebara H. Benign pedunculated intraluminal tumor of the esophagus. J of Otolaryngology 1982; 11: 111–115.Google Scholar
- 8.Hirata S, Sakai K, Hamanaka Y. Lipoma of the gastroesophageal junction: A case report. Shokaki Geka 1985; 8: 633–637. (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 9.Nishimura R, Tsuchigame N, Saitou R. A lipoma of the gastroesophageal junction. Gastroenterological Endoscopy 1978; 28: 1832. (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 10.Kaneko E, Kumagaya J, Nawano M, Hanai H, Honda N, Nakamura S, Kino I. A case of esophageal lipoma resected endoscopically. Gastroenterological Endoscopy 1981; 23: 435–439. (in Japanese)Google Scholar