Studies on the mechanism and prevention of local recurrence of carcinoma at the suture line after colonic resection
- 23 Downloads
In the course of tumor growth at the suture line, there were two different growth patterns spreading to the serosal surface in Yoshida sarcoma and to mucosal surface in AH-109A.
A linear relationship was found between tumor growth rate and number of tumor cells by observation of at 5 days sacrifice.
The experimental results offer ample evidence to occur easily the implantation of tumor cells at the suture line, resulting in the local recurrence in the varied shapes after colonic resection.
For prevention of it, the local irrigation by anticancer agent which brings about the decrease in number of tumor cells and direct effect may be of prophylactic value for local recurrence of carcinoma of the colon and rectum due to implantation of tumor cells.
KeywordsLocal Recurrence Suture Line Colonic Resection Tumor Growth Rate Tumor Ceils
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Bacon, H.R.: Cancer of the colon, rectum and anal canal, 257–706, 1955.Google Scholar
- 5.Black, B.M. & A.H. Kelly: Recurrent carcinoma of the rectum and sigmoid, Arch. Surg., 71: 538–542, 1955.Google Scholar
- 7.Cole, W.H.: Recurrence in carcinoma of the colon and proximal rectum following reseaction for carcinoma, Arch. Surg., 65: 264–270, 1952.Google Scholar
- 8.Cole, W.H., D. Pachard & H.W. Southwick: Carcinoma of the colon with special reference of prevention of recurrence, J. Amer. med. Ass., 155: 1549–1553, 1954.Google Scholar
- 10.Fischer, A.W.: Die Operation am Mastdarm und am After. Bier-Braun-Kümmel chirurgische Operationslehre, 5, 192, Jehann Ambrosins Barth, Leipzig, 1957.Google Scholar
- 11.Goligher, J.G.: Preservation of the anal sphincters in the radical treatment of rectal cancer, Ann. Roy. Coll. Surg. Engl. 22: 311–329, 1958.Google Scholar
- 13.Herter, F.P., T.V. Santtli, S. Terry, J.A. Buda & R.L. Beals: The infuence of the intestinal flora on suture line recurrence following resection for carcinoma of the colon, Surg. Gynec. Obst., 114: 267–276, 1962.Google Scholar
- 14.Herter, F.P. & C.A. Slanetz, Jr.: Preoperative intestinal preparation in relation to the subsequent development of cancer at the suture line, Surg. Gynec. Obst., 127: 49–56, 1968.Google Scholar
- 16.Lofgreen, E.P., J.M. Wange & M.B. Dokerty: Local recurrence of carcinoma after anterior resection of the rectum and sigmoid relation-ship with length of normal mucosa excised distal of lesion, Arch. Surg., 74: 825–838, 1957.Google Scholar
- 17.Majima, S., K. Karube, T. Narisawa, T. Takahashi & T. Machida: Clinical and pathological aspects of cance of the colon in 193 surgical cases, results of surgical treatment, Japan J. Cancer Clinics, 16: 998–1004, 1967.Google Scholar
- 18.Mc Grew, E.A., J.F. Laws & W.H. Cole: Free malignant cells in relation to recurrence of carcinoma of the colon, J. Amer. Med. Ass., 154: 1251–1254, 1954.Google Scholar
- 19.Morgan, C.N. & U.V. Lloyd-Davies: Restorative resection of the rectum, Proc. Roy. Soc. Med., 43: 710, 1950.Google Scholar