Linear theory of the propagation of internal wave beams in an arbitrarily stratified liquid
- 72 Downloads
Beams of harmonic internal waves in a liquid with smoothly changing stratification are calculated in the Boussinesq approximation taking into account the effects of diffusion and viscosity. A procedure of local reduction of the beam in a medium with an arbitrary smooth stratification to the case of an exponentially stratified liquid is constructed. The coefficient of energy losses in the case of beam reflection on the critical level is calculated. Parameters of internal boundary flows with split scales of velocity and density that are formed by a wave beam on discontinuities of the buoyancy frequency and its higher derivatives are determined.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.L. M. Brekhovskikh and V. V. Goncharov,Introduction to Continuum Mechanics [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1982).Google Scholar
- 2.S. A. Gabov and A. G. Sveshnikov,Problems of Dynamics of Stratified Fluid [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1986).Google Scholar
- 4.J. S. Turner,Buoyancy Effects in Fluids, Cambridge Univ. Press (1973).Google Scholar
- 6.Yu. V. Kistovich and Yu. D. Chashechkin, “Reflection of internal-wave trains in a viscous fluid from a flat rigid boundary,”Izv. Ross. Akad. Nauk, Fiz. Atmos. Okeana,30, No. 6, 752–758 (1994).Google Scholar
- 7.Yu. V. Kistovich and Yu. D. Chashechkin, “Reflection of internal gravity wave trains from a plane rigid surface,”Dokl. Ross. Akad. Nauk,337, No. 3, 401–404 (1994).Google Scholar
- 11.N. K. Fedorov,Thin Thermohaline Structure of Ocean Waters [in Russian], Gidrometeoizdat, Leningrad (1976).Google Scholar
- 13.V. M. Kamenkovich and A. S. Monin (eds.),Oceanology. Physics of Ocean, Vol. 1:Hydrophysics of Ocean [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1978).Google Scholar
- 14.M. Abramowitz and I. A. Stegun,Handbook of Mathematical Functions with Formulas, Graphs, and Mathematical Tables, John Wiley and Sons, New York (1972).Google Scholar