Investigations of the effects of manganese addition to Dry Creek Saltfield brines
- 17 Downloads
Trials conducted at Dry Creek, a solar saltfield north of Adelaide, Australia, indicate that manganese, as manganous sulphate, can increase both the purity and strength of salt crystals grown at an ambient or neutral-slightly acid pH range resulting in a salt suitable for high purity uses. The improved load bearing strength of the crystals indicates that manganous sulphate could also be useful in salt floor maintenance. However, the impact of an apparently slight rise in pH to 8.5 was significant. Crystals produced at the higher pH from the manganese enriched brine were opaque with many tiny, almost colloidal crystals. The salt did not drain well, had low load bearing strength and was notably impure.
Key wordscrystal growth crystal strength manganese salt solar saltfields
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Baseggio, G. 1976. The composition of seawater and its concentrates. In: A. Coogan (Ed) Fourth Symposium on Salt: Volume 2, pp. 351–358. Northern Ohio Geological Society, Cleveland.Google Scholar
- Bodner, G. and Pardue, H.L. 1995. Chemistry: An Experimental Science John Wiley and Sons, New York.Google Scholar
- Bunn, C. 1964. Crystals: Their role in nature and science. Academic Press, London.Google Scholar
- Chiswell, B., McKenzie, E.D. and Lindoy, L. 1987. Manganese. In: G. Wilkinson, R.D. Gillard and McCleverty (Eds) Comprehensive Coordination Chemistry: Volume 4 Middle Transition Elements. Pergamon Press. Oxford.Google Scholar
- Coleman, M.U. and White, M.A. 1993. The role of biological disturbances in the production of solar salt. In: Seventh Symposium on Salt: Volume 1, pp. 623–631. Elsevier Science Publishers, Amsterdam.Google Scholar
- Eaton, A.D., Clesceri, L.S. and Greenberg, A.E. (eds) 1995. Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater. 19th Edition. American Public Health Association, Washington.Google Scholar
- Hou, T. 1942. Manufacture of Soda. American Chemical Society. New York.Google Scholar
- Jain, G.C. and Datar, D.S. 1970. Effect of managanese in solar saltworks. In: Rau and Dellwig (Eds) Third Symposium on Salt: Volume 2, pp. 178–185. Northern Ohio Geological Society Cleveland.Google Scholar
- Lide, D.R. 1995. CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics. 76th Edition. CRC Press, Boca Raton.Google Scholar