Class E driver for transcutaneous power and data link for implanted electronic devices
Magnetic transcutaneous coupling is frequently used for power and data transfer to implanted electronic devices. The paper describes a transmitter/coil driver based on the class E topology. The development of a ‘high-Q approximation’ simplifies the design procedure. A method of data modulation using synchronous frequency shifting is decribed. The class E circuit shows great promise, especially for circuits with unusually low coefficients of coupling. Transmitter coil currents of several amperes, at radio frequencies, with relatively low active device power dissipation, can easily be obtained.
KeywordsClass E Coupling Data modulation Driver Electronics Telemetry Transcutaneous
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Galbraith, D. C., Soma, M. andWhite, R. L. (1987) A wideband efficient inductive transdermal power and data link with coupling insensitive gain.IEEE Trans.,BME-34, 265–275.Google Scholar
- Gutmann, R. J. (1980) Application of RF circuit design principles to distributed power converters.,IECI-27, 156–164.Google Scholar
- Heetderks, W. J. (1988) RF powering of millimeter- and submillimeter-sized neural prosthetic implants.,BME-35, 323–327.Google Scholar
- Kazimierczuk, M. K. andPuczko, K. (1987) Exact analysis of class E tuned power amplifier at anyQ and switch duty cycle.,CAS-34, 149–159.Google Scholar
- Kazimierczuk, M. K. andBui, X. T. (1989) Class E dc/dc converters with an inductive impedance inverter.,PE-4, 124–135.Google Scholar
- Redl, R., Molnar, B. andSokal, N. O. (1986a) Class E resonant regulated dc/dc power converters: analysis of operations, and experimental results at 1·5 MHz.,PE-1, 111–120.Google Scholar
- Redl, R., Molnar, B. andSokal, N. O. (1986b) Small-signal dynamic analysis of regulated class E dc/dc converters.,PE-1, 121–128.Google Scholar
- Soma, M., Galbraith, D. C. andWhite, R. L. (1987) Radiofrequency coils in implantable devices: misalignment analysis and design procedure.IEEE Trans.,BME-34, 276–282.Google Scholar
- Zulinski, R. E. andSteadman, J. W. (1987) Class E power amplifiers and frequency multipliers with finite dc-feed inductance.,CAS-34, 1074–1084.Google Scholar