Error rate in five-state myoelectric control systems
- 50 Downloads
A myoelectric control system is one in which the operation of a device is controlled by the electric potential produced by voluntary contraction of a muscle. The utilisation of a single muscle site for the 3-state control of a myoelectric prosthesis has proven beneficial for certain amputees. It has been proposed that a single muscle site could be used for 5-state control, perhaps for an elbow and hand. This paper presents a preliminary study of the error probability for 5-state control.
KeywordsMan-machine systems Multistate control Myoelectric control Prosthetics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brittain, R. H. andCaldwell, R. R. (1976) A three-state myoelectric control system. Digest of the 11th International Conference on Medical & Biological Engineering, 20–21.Google Scholar
- Dorcas, D. S., Dunfield, V. A. andScott, R. N. (1970) Improved myoelectric control system.Med. & Biol. Eng.,8, 333–341.Google Scholar
- Parker, P. A. (1975) Optimum signal processing for a multistate myoelectric communication channel. Ph.D. thesis, University of New Brunswick.Google Scholar
- Parker, P. A., Stuller, J. A. andScott, R. N. (1975) Application of decision theory to myoelectric signal processing for control of powered prosthesis. Proceedings of the 28th Annual Conference on Engineering in Medicine and Biology, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA,17, 19.Google Scholar
- Parker, P. A., Stuller, J. A. andScott, R. N. (1976) Optimum signal set for the multistate myoelectric channel. Digest of the 11th International Conference on Medical & Biological Engineering, 366–367.Google Scholar
- Scott, R. N., Parker, P. A. andDunfield, V. A. (1974) Myoelectric Control. In IEE Medical Electronics Monographs 7–12,Hill, D. W. andWatson, B. W. (Eds.), 141–169. Peter Peregrinus.Google Scholar
- Scott, R. N., Paciga, J. E. andParker, P. A. (1978) Operator error in multistate myoelectric control systems.Med. & Biol. Eng. & Comput.,16, 296–301.Google Scholar
- Scott, R. N., Brittain, R. H., Caldwell, R. R., Cameron, A. B., andDunfield, V. A. (1980) A sensory feedback system compatible with myoelectric control.Med. & Biol. Eng. & Comput.,18, 65–69.Google Scholar