Skeletal age determination based on the os pubis: A comparison of the Acsádi-Nemeskéri and Suchey-Brooks methods
- 703 Downloads
After reviewing various systems of age determination based on analysis of the pubic bone, the discussion concentrates on the collection and preparation of an extensive autopsy sample (n=1225) of pubic bones from modern individuals with legal documentation of age at death (death and/or birth certificates). TheSuchey-Brooks method derived from this sample is described. TheAcsádi-Nemeskéri system is evaluated in terms of the documented collection and it is seen that their five stage method focuses only on the early and late morphological changes. The intermediate stages, in which the ventral rampart is in process of completion, are not described. Their suggested age ranges do not correspond with the documented modern sample. Based on these limitations of theAcsádi-Nemeskéri method, applications of theSuchey-Brooks system are discussed.
Key wordsPubic bone age determination demography
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Acsádi G. &Nemeskéri J., 1970.History of Human Lifespan and Mortality. Akademiai Kiado, Budapest.Google Scholar
- Cobb W.M., 1952.Skeleton. In: A.I. Lansing, ed. Cowdry's Problems of Ageing, 3rd Edition. Williams & Wilkins Co., Baltimore.Google Scholar
- de Arenosa D. & Suchey J.M. 1987.Determination of Age in the Male Os Pubis — Composition of the Sample. Poster presented at the 39th Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences, San Diego, California.Google Scholar
- McKern T.W. &Stewart T.D., 1957.Skeletal Age Changes in Young American Males. Natick, MA: Quartermaster Research and Development Command, Technical Report EP. 45.Google Scholar
- Nemeskéri J, Harsányi L. &Acsádi G., 1960.Methoden zur diagnose des lebensalters von skelettfunden. Anthropologischer Anzeiger 24: 70–95.Google Scholar
- Suchey J. M., Brooks S.T. & Rawson R.D., 1982.Aging the Female Os Pubis. Paper presented at the 34th Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences, Orlando, Florida.Google Scholar
- Suchey J.M., Wiseley D.V. &Katz D., 1986.Evaluation of the Todd and McKern-Stewart Methods for Aging the Male Os Pubis. In: K.J. Reichs, Ed. Forensic Osteology, Charles C. Thomas, Publisher, Springfield.Google Scholar