P’yŏngyang — ancient and modern —the capital of North Koreangyang — ancient and modern —the capital of North Korea
- 94 Downloads
The capital of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (North Korea) is both the oldest and the newest settlement in Korea. The basic concepts in its early urban development made it the model for Korean cities of later ages. In the 6th and 7th century AD P’yôngyang was one of the largest cities in Asia, second only to the imperial capital of China, but it later declined. It partly recovered its former position when it became the capital of North Korea after World War II. Its reconstruction since the Korean War has made it one of the most striking examples of socialist city planning.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cultural Relics Publishing House: Historical Relics in Pyongyang. pp. 1–62, Pyongyang 1988.Google Scholar
- Cultural Relics Publishing House: Historic Moran Hill. pp. 1–42, Pyongyang 1988.Google Scholar
- Dege, E.: Kleiner Reiseführer Nordkorea. 2nd ed., pp.1–46, Ikarus, Königstein 1990.Google Scholar
- Foreign Languages Publishing House: Pyongyang. pp. 1–312 S., Pyongyang 1985.Google Scholar
- Foreign Languages Publishing House: Pyongyang Metro. pp. 1–40, Pyongyang 1980.Google Scholar
- Hubert, H. B.: A Visit to Pyeng Yang. Korea Review 5, 287–292, Seoul (1905)Google Scholar
- Kwahak, paekkwa sajôn ch’ulp’ansa: Paekkwa chônsô, vol. 5 (entries “P’yôngyang...” pp. 430–441), P’yôngyang 1984.Google Scholar
- Lautensach, H.: Korea. Eine Landeskunde auf Grund eigener Reisen und der Literatur. pp. I-XV, 1–542, Leipzig (K. F. Koehler) 1945. English edition: A Geography Based on the Author’s Travels and Literature. Translated from the German, Supplemented with a Thoroughly Revised and Expanded Index and Edited by Katherine and Eckart Dege. pp. I–XVII, 1–598, Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York 1988.Google Scholar
- Ow, M. v.: Bauen wie zur Pharaonenzeit. Nordkorea — für Architekten eine Überraschung. Baumeister 3, 58–61 (1990)Google Scholar
- Pang Hwan Ju: Korean Review. pp. 1–351, Pyongyang (Foreign Languages Publishing House) 1987.Google Scholar
- Pews, H.-U.: Besichtigung von Ph`ongjang. Urania 65, 6, 34–39, Berlin (1989)Google Scholar
- Schinz, A.: Cities in China. Urbanization of the Earth (Tietze, W., ed.), pp. 1–492, Borntraeger, Berlin, Stuttgart, 1989Google Scholar