Testing for long-term memory in yen/dollar exchange rate
This paper examines evidence of long-term memory in the yen/dollar price change as well as in the daily estimate of volatility of the exchange rate series. The methodology used is due to Lo (1989) which is robust to the presence of heteroscedasticity and is applied to a ten year data set. The result shows no evidence of long-term memory in the price change series indicating efficient pricing by the market participants. The volatility series, however, shows evidence of long-term memory which may have implications for traders dealing with long lived assets.
Key wordsMemory heteroscedasticity diffusion rescaled range fractal martingale
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ambrose, B.W., Ancel, E.W. and Griffiths, M.D. (1993) Fractal Structure in the Capital Markets Revisited,Financial Analysts Journal, May–June, 73–77.Google Scholar
- Chesney, M., Elliott, R.J., Madan, D. and Yang, H. (1993) Diffusin Coefficient Estimation and Asset Pricing When Risk Premia and Sensitivities are Time Varying,Mathematical Finance,3, 85–99.Google Scholar
- Engle, R.F. (1993) Statistical Models for Financial Volatility,Financial Analysts Journal, January–February, 72–78.Google Scholar
- Hurst, H. (1951) Long Term Storage Capacity of Reservoirs,Transactions of the American Society of Civil Engineers,116, 770–799.Google Scholar
- Hurst, H. (1956) Methods of Using Long Term Storage in Reservoirs,Proceedings of the Institute of Civil Engineers,1, 519–543.Google Scholar
- Kao, G.W. and Ma, C.K. (1992) Memories, Heteroscedasticity and Price Limit in Currency Futures Markets,The Journal of Futures Markets,12, 679–692.Google Scholar
- Lo, A. (1989) Long-Term Memory in Stock Market Prices, Working paper No. 2984, National Bureau of Economic Research.Google Scholar
- Mandelbrot, B. (1972) Statistical Methodology for Non-Periodic Cycles: From the Covariance to R/S Analysis,Annals of Economic and Social Measurement,1, 259–290.Google Scholar
- Mihlstein, G.N. (1974) Approximate Integration of Stochastic Differential Equations,Theory Probability App.,19, 557–562.Google Scholar
- Musa, M. (1979) Empirical regularities in the behavior of exchange rates and theories of the foreign exchange market, inCarnegie-Rochester Series on Public Policy edited by K. Bruner and A.H. Meltzer, Vol. 11, Nort-Holland, Amsterdam.Google Scholar
- Peters, E. (1989) Fractal Structure in the Capital Markets,Financial Analysts Journal, July–August, 32–37.Google Scholar
- Wallis, J.R. and Matalas, N.C. (1970) Small Sample Properties of H and K Estimators of the Hurst Coefficient H,Water Resources Research,6, 1583–1594.Google Scholar