This paper addresses the question of how long it takes for anM/G/1 queue, starting empty, to approach steady state. A coupling technique is used to derive bounds on the variation distance between the distribution of number in the system at timet and its stationary distribution. The bounds are valid for allt.
KeywordsSettling times M/G/1 queues coupling relaxation times
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- H. Chernoff, A measure of asymptotic efficiency for tests based on the sum of observations, Ann. Math. Stat. 23 (1952) 493–509.Google Scholar
- J.W. Cohen,The Single Server Queue, 2nd ed. (North-Holland, 1982).Google Scholar
- S. Karlin and H.M. Taylor,A First Course in Stochastic Processes (Academic Press, 1975).Google Scholar
- A.Y. Khinchin, Mathematical theory of stationary queues, Mat. Sbornik 39 (4) (1932) 73–84.Google Scholar
- L. Kleinrock,Queueing Systems, vol. 1 (Wiley, 1975).Google Scholar
- L. Takács,Introduction to the Theory of Queues (Oxford University Press, 1962).Google Scholar
- H. Thorisson, On maximal and distributional coupling, Ann. Prob. 14 (1986) 873–876.Google Scholar