The economic impact of potato late blight on US growers
- 573 Downloads
Potato growers have been able to control the fungus,Phytophthora infestans, that causes late blight with fungicides, but at an increasingly higher cost. A Delphi survey was conducted with thirteen experts to estimate the impact of late blight on potato yields, storage losses and fungicide use. It was estimated late-blight fungicides cost $77.1 million and lost revenue for US growers was an additional $210.7 million. These total costs, which average $507 per hectare, do not include non-fungicide control practices.
Additional keywordsfungicides costs Delphi survey Phytophthora infestans
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Guenthner, J.F., 1987. Acreage response: an econometric analysis of the United States potato industry. PhD dissertation, Washington State University, Pullman, Washington, 141 pp.Google Scholar
- Guenthner, J.F., M.V. Wiese, A.D. Pavlista, J.B. Sieczka & J. Wyman, 1999. Assessment of pesticide use in the US potato industry.American Journal of Potato Research 76: 25–29.Google Scholar
- Knutson, R.D., C.R. Hall, E.G. Smith, S.D. Cotner & D.W. Miller, 1993. Economic impacts of reduced pesticide use on potatoes. American Farm Bureau Research Foundation, 123 pp.Google Scholar
- Linstone, H.A. & M. Turoff (Eds), 1975 The Delphi method techniques and applications. Addison-Wesley Publishing C., Reading, Massachusetts, 288 pp.Google Scholar
- Niederhauser, J.S., 1993. The role of the potato in the conquest of hunger. In: J.F. Guenthner (Ed.), Past, present and future uses of potatoes — Proceedings of the Symposium, Potato Association of America Annual Meeting. College of Agriculture MS 164, University of Idaho, Moscow, Idaho, 35 pp.Google Scholar
- Patterson, P., 1998. Crop input costs summary for Idaho. AEE Extension Series No. 99-03. Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology, University of Idaho, Moscow, Idaho, 9 pp.Google Scholar
- Rasp, A., 1973. “Delphi: a decision-maker's dream.”Nations Schools 92: 29–32.Google Scholar
- Stevenson, W.R., 1993. Management of early blight and late blight. In: R.C. Rowe (Ed.), Potato health management. APS Press, St Paul, Minnesota, pp. 140–147.Google Scholar
- United States Department of Agriculture, 1990–98. Agricultural chemical usage annual field crop summary. National Agricultural Statistics Service, Washington, DC.Google Scholar
- United States Department of Agriculture, 1990–98. Agricultural prices summary. National Agricultural Statistics Service, Washington, DC.Google Scholar
- Wiese, M. V., J.F. Guenthner, A.D. Pavlista, J. Wyman & J.B. Sieczka, 1999. Use, target pests and economic impact of pesticides applied to potatoes in the United States. USDA NAPIAP Report 2-CA-98, 44 pp.Google Scholar