Aggregate disintegration in turbulent jets
- 261 Downloads
A state-of-the-art, high-speed video system has been used to observe floc disintegration occurring in the thin shear layer of a turbulent jet. The macrovideographic images have provided details of the breakage process that were heretofore unavailable. This information has been used to validate and quantify a force balance model that establishes a more rational framework for the description of floc breakage. It also has provided a much more detailed picture of the threshold levels of stress required for the breakage of specific floc structural types. The ultimate objective of this line of research is to use this framework to successfully describe the response of floc structures to hydrodynamic stress in coagulation processes and to provide a means by which substantial improvements can be made in solid-liquid separation processes.
Key wordsfloc breakage coagulation water treatment deaggregation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- AI-Ani, S., Dyer, K. R. and Huntley, D. A.: 1991, ‘Measurement of the Influence of Salinity on Floc Density and Strength’,Geo-Marine Letters 11, 154.Google Scholar
- Bache, D. H. and Al-Ani, S.: 1989, ‘Development of a System for Evaluating Floc Strength’,Wat Tech. 21, 529.Google Scholar
- Camp, T. R. and Stein, P. C.: 1943, ‘Velocity Gradients and Internal Work in Fluid Motion’,L Boston Soc. Civil Engr 30, 219.Google Scholar
- Glasgow, L. A., Kim, Y. H. and Hsu, J.: 1985, ‘Characterization of Turbulence-Induced Aggregate Breakage’, in Flocculation, Sedimentation and Consolidation, Proceedings of the Engineering Foundation Conference, pp. 191–204.Google Scholar
- Higashitani, K., Inada, N. and Ochi, T.: 1989, ‘Floc Breakup in Contraction Flow to Orifice’, Presented at AIChE Annual Meeting, San Francisco.Google Scholar
- Hsu, J. and Glasgow, L. A.: 1983, ‘Floc Size Reduction in the Turbulent Environment’,Particulate Sci. Tech. 1, 205.Google Scholar
- Kolmogorov, A. N.: 1949,Doklady Akad. Nauk SSSR 66, 825.Google Scholar
- Matsuo, T. and Unno, H.: 1981, ‘Forces Acting on Floc and Strength of Floc’,J. Envir Engr. Div. ASCE 107, 527.Google Scholar
- Wagle, D. G., Lee, C. W. and Brodkey, R. S.: 1988, ‘Further Comments on a Visual Study of Pulp Floc Dispersion Mechanisms’,Tappi J. 71, 137.Google Scholar