Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency and sulfadimidin acetylation phenotypes in Egyptian oases
- 23 Downloads
Screening of 1315 males from two Egyptian oases for glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency (G-6PD) found an incidence of 5.9%. The rate of acetylation of sulfadimidin was also studied, and a bimodal distribution was found with 73% rapid acetylators. There is a correlation between high frequency of G-6PD deficiency and high frequency of slow acetylation rate.
Key wordspopulation study glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency drug acetylation polymorphism Egyptian oasis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bratton, A., and Marshall, E. (1939). A new coupling component for sulfanilamide determination.J. Biol. Chem. 128537.Google Scholar
- Brewer, G. (1986). Pharmacogenetic interaction glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency with acetylation and hydroxylation. In Yoshida, A., and Beutler, E. (eds.),Glucose-6-phosphate Dehydrogenase Academic Press, New York, pp. 13–23.Google Scholar
- Dern, R., Beutler, E., and Alving, A. (1981). The hemolytic effect of primaquine.J. Lab. Clin. Med. 97751.Google Scholar
- Fessas, P., Doxiadis, S., and Valaes, T. (1962). Neonatal Jaundice in G-6PD deficient infants.Br. Med. J. 111359.Google Scholar
- Fiorelli, G., Finazzi, G., Manoussakis, C., Palomba, V., and Fenu, M. (1982). G-6PD deficiency in Sardinia: Genetic heterogeneity and clinical implications. In Weatherallet al. (eds.),Adv. Red Cell Biol. Raven Press, New York, pp. 399–408.Google Scholar
- Hoo, J., Hussein, L., and Goedde, H. (1977). A simplified micromethod for the determination of the acetylator phenotype.J. Clin. Chem. Biochem. 15329.Google Scholar
- Hrdlicka, A. (1912). The natives of Kharga Oasis, Egypt.Smithson. Misc. Coll. 591.Google Scholar
- Motulsky, A. (1964). Hereditary red cell traits and malaria.Am. J. Trop. Med. 13147.Google Scholar
- Weber, W., and Hein, D. W. (1985). N-Acetylation pharmacogenetics.Am. Soc. Pharm. Exp. Ther. 3725.Google Scholar
- Yoshida, A., and Beutler, E. (eds.) (1986).Glucose-6-phosphate Dehydrogenase Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar