A new probe for local structure: Paramagnetic hyperfine structure in Nd3+ Mössbauer spectra
- 22 Downloads
The4I9/2 ground state of Nd3+ (4f3) is split by a crystal field of lower than cubic symmetry into five Kramer doublets. The magnetic hyperfine interactions can be calculated by using an effective magnetic hyperfine tensor Ã, which is obtained from the linear combination coefficients of the ground state doublet eigenvector. The hyperfine tensor Ã and the line shape depend strongly on the local structure of the system. Nondiagonal magnetic hyperfine interactions produce nonadiabatic relaxation. Corresponding lineshapes are calculated by means of the Clauser-Blume model and the eigenvalue treatment of superoperators. We found for Nd3+ in the investigated laser phosphate glass a network-forming function consistent with aC 3h orD 3h point symmetry.
KeywordsPhosphate Thin Film Linear Combination Local Structure Line Shape
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M.J. Weber, in:Handbook on the Chemistry and Physics of Rare Earths, eds. K.A. Gschneidner and L. Eyring (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1979) Vol. 4, p. 175.Google Scholar
- A. Abragam and B. Bleaney,Electron Paramaganetic Resonance of Transition Ions (Oxford, 1970).Google Scholar
- S. Ofer, I. Nowik and S.G. Cohen, in:Chemical Applications of Mössbauer Spectroscopy, eds. V.J. Goldanskij and R.H. Herber (New York, 1968) p. 427.Google Scholar
- H.H. Wickman and G.K. Wertheim, in:Chemical Applications of Mössbauer Spectroscopy eds. V.J. Goldanskij and R.H. Herber (New York, 1968) p. 548.Google Scholar
- B. Bleaney, in:Magnetic Properties of Rare Earths Metals, ed. R.J. Elliott (London, 1972) p. 383.Google Scholar
- S. Dattagupta, in:Advances in Mössbauer Spectroscopy, eds. B.V. Thosar, J.K. Srivastava, P.K. Iyengar and C.L. Bhargava (Amsterdam, 1983) p. 586; S. Dattagupta, Phys. Rev. B12 (1975) 3584.Google Scholar
- J.E. Stevens, in:Handbook of Spectroscopy, ed. J.W. Robinson, Vol. 3 (Boca Raton, 1981) 468.Google Scholar
- C. Czjzek, Hyp. Int. 24–26 (1983) 667.Google Scholar
- M. Winterer, dissertation, Münster, 1989.Google Scholar
- S. Mockovciak, J. Pantoflicek and K., Patek, Phys. Stat. Sol. 11 (1965) 401.Google Scholar
- E. Trif and A. Nicula, Phys. Stat. Sol. B 13 (1986) 683.Google Scholar