Importance of scientific uncertainty in decision making
- 431 Downloads
Uncertainty in environmental decision making should not be thought of as a problem that is best ignored. In fact, as is illustrated in a simple example, we often informally make use of awareness of uncertainty by hedging decisions away from large losses. This hedging can be made explicit and formalized using the methods of decision analysis. While scientific uncertainty is undesirable, it can still be useful in environmental management as it provides a basis for the need to fund additional monitoring, experimentation, or information acquisition to improve the scientific basis for decisions.
Key wordsUncertainty Decision making Decision analysis Risk Safety factors Water quality management
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bartell, S. M., R. H. Gardner, and R. V. O'Neill. 1992. Ecological risk estimation. Lewis Publishers, Boca Raton, Florida, 252 pp.Google Scholar
- De Zuane, J. 1990. Drinking water quality—standards and controls. Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 458 pp.Google Scholar
- Morgan, M. G., and M. Henrion. 1990. Uncertainty. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK 332 pp.Google Scholar
- Raiffa, H. 1968. Decision analysis: introductory lectures on choices under uncertainty. Addison-Wesley, Reading, Massachusetts, 272 pp.Google Scholar
- Raiffa, H., and R. Schlaifer. 1968. Applied statistical decision theory. MIT Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 356 pp.Google Scholar
- Reckhow, K. H. 1985. Decision theory applied to lake management. Pages 196–200in Lake and reservoir management: Practical applications, Proceedings of the North American Lake Management Society Annual Conference, Alachua, FL.Google Scholar
- Suter, G. W., II. 1993. Ecological risk assessment. Lewis Publishers, Boca Raton, Florida, 657 pp.Google Scholar
- Thomas, H. A., Jr. 1972. The animal farm: A mathematical model for the discussion of social standards for control of the environment. Pages 250–256in R. Dorfman and N. S. Dorfman (eds.), Economics of the environment. Norton, New York.Google Scholar
- von Winterfeldt, D., and W. Edwards. 1986. Decision analysis and behavioral research. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 604 pp.Google Scholar