Primary glial tumor patients treated by combining cis-platin and etoposide
- 39 Downloads
Thirty eight patients with malignant gliomas (27 GBM and 11 AA) were treated with up to 7 cycles of CDDP + VP16 every month after surgery. Chemotherapy was planned as two cycles before and 5 cycles after radiation (42 Gy) using a three times daily fractionation schedule. No severe toxicity was observed. The object of our study was to investigate the antitumor effectiveness by combining CDDP plus VP16 against primary malignant glial tumors. The time to tumor progression (TTP) and survival time (ST) of the GBM patients in the present study were 38.5 and 68,5 weeks respectively. The TTP of the AA patients was 73 weeks and the ST was not calculated as most patients are still alive. By the 18th. month after surgery, 38% of GBM and 74% of AA patients treated with (CDDP + VP16) are still alive. This study demonstrates that the combination of CDDP and VP16 is effective in patients with malignant gliomas.
Key wordschemotherapy glioma cis-platin etoposide survival-time
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dodin P, Sanders C, Georges P and Kenis Y:In vitro chemosensitivity of brain tumors to cisplatin and its analogues, iproplatin and carboplatin. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 22: 80–82, 1988Google Scholar
- 4.Bertolone S, Baum E, Krivit W and Hammond D: A phase II study of cisplatin therapy in recurrent childhood brain tumor. J of Neuro-Oncol 7: 5–11, 1989Google Scholar
- 6.Graig E, Stephen B, Howel B, Felthouse D, Woliver T, Andrews A, Markbamn M and Murphy M: High-dose Cisplatin with sodium Thiosulfate protection. J Clin Oncol 3: 237–244, 1985Google Scholar
- 8.Steward DJ, O'Bryan RM, Al-Sarraf M: Phase II study of cisplatin in recurrent astrocytomas in adults: a Southwest Oncology Group Study. J Neurooncol 1: 145, 147, 1983Google Scholar
- 9.Einhorn LH and Williams SD: The role of cisplatinum in solid tumor therapy N Engl: J Med 300: 291–294, 1979Google Scholar
- 10.Burchenal JH, Lokys L: Tumor therapy. In: Prestaiko AW. Cooke ST (ed): Carter SK: Cisplatin: current status and new developments. NY Academic Press 1980Google Scholar
- 13.Steward DJ, Richard MT, Hugenholtz H: Penetration of VP16 into human intracerebral and extracerebral tumors. J Neuro Oncol 2: 133–140, 1984Google Scholar
- 15.Zupi G, Greco C, Sacchi A, Calabresi F: Etoposide prior to cis-diamminedichloroplatinum in combination chemotherapyin vitro andin vivo studies. Eur J Cancer Clin Oncol 12: 1501–1506, 1895Google Scholar
- 16.Steward DJ, Leavens M, Feun M, Luna M, Bonura J, Caprioloi R, Loo T, Benjamin S: Human central nervous system distribution of cis-platin and use as radiosensitizer in malignant brain tumors. Cumuliforme-results of phase II study. Int J Radiot Oncol Biol Phys 8: 1787–1794, 1982Google Scholar
- 20.Krauseneck P and Mertens HG: Results of chemotherapy of malignant brain tumors in adults. In therapy of malignant brain tumors. Ed by Kurt Jellinger Springer-Verlag Wien New York 1987Google Scholar