A new preperitoneal repair for inguinal hernia using a transpositioned external oblique aponeurotic flap
- 73 Downloads
This study consists of a preliminary report of 94 cases with various types of inguinal hernias. All cases were repaired by a new technique, in which the herniotomy is performed via a preperitoneal approach and the repair is achieved by using a bipedicled flap from the external oblique aponeurosis, which is transpositioned into the preperitoneal space and sutured to the iliopubic tract. The details of this technique are herein described. After a follow-up ranging from 15 to 48 months, both the early and late complications are presented. They were minimal and of minor significance, apart from a hernial recurrence in one case.
Key wordsexternal oblique aponeurosis inguinal hernia preperitoneal repair
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bassini E (1887) Sulla cura radicale dell'ernia inguinal. Arch Soc Ital Chir 4: 380Google Scholar
- 2.Halstead WS (1889) The radical cure of hernia. Bull John Hopkins Hosp 1: 2Google Scholar
- 3.Henry AK (1936) Operation for femoral hernia by a midline extraperitoneal approach: with a preliminary note on the use of this route for reducible inguinal hernia. Lancet 1: 531–533Google Scholar
- 7.Nyhus LM, Klein MS, Rogers FB (1991) Inguinal hernia. In: Wells Jr SA (ed) Current problems in surgery. Mosby Year book, St. Louis, MO, pp 403–449Google Scholar
- 9.Lifschultz H, Juler GL (1986) The inguinal darn. Arch Surg 121: 717–719Google Scholar
- 10.Ger R, Monroe K, Duvivier R, et al. (1990) Management of indirect inguinal hernias by laparoscopic closure of the neck of the sac. Am J Surg 163: 331–335Google Scholar
- 11.Filipe CJ, Fitzgibbons RJ, Salerno GM, et al. (1992) Laparoscopic herniorrhaphy. Surg Clin North Am 72: 1109–1124Google Scholar
- 12.Guarnicri A, Moscatelli F, Guarnieri F, Ravo B (1992) A new technique for indirect inguinal hernia repair. Am J Surg 164: 70–73Google Scholar
- 13.Rutkow IM, Robbins AW (1993) Tension-Free inguinal herniorrhaphy. A preliminary report on the mesh plug technique. Surgery 144: 3–8Google Scholar
- 14.Andrews EW (1895) Implication of lap-joint method: a plastic operation for hernia. Chicago Med Rec 9: 67–69Google Scholar
- 15.Zimmermann LM (1971) Recurrent inguinal hernia. Surg Clin North Am 51: 1317–1324Google Scholar